Have everything, now what?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luke.s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I finally have everything and am ready to let my tank cycle... but what next? FOWLR. Plan on getting a small amount of live rock then some dry rock but not till i get paid next week

I have a 29gallon tank
50lb bag of Instant Ocean Sea Salt
20lb bag of CaribSea Live Aragonite Sand
Aquaclear 50 filter
Finnex HPS100 heater
&
some random pump, i think a Visi-Jet VJ100 that someone gave to me for free.

So... Fill the tank with water then what? sand and salt, and turn the filter on? or do i wait to add the live sand? I dont have any measuring tools yet to measure ammonia, nitrites n stuff. Gotta buy books first n see how much I have left over. It might sound easy but I dont wanna screw anything up! help!

You will want to mix your water first. I usually add the sand then the saltwater. An easy way to get the water from the bucket to the tank is a hose that is attached to a power head. You need to measure your SG I prefer a refractometer for that.

Are you going to add live rock? I find it is best to do that when you are cycling your tank. An API is a good test kit to have it has all the basics. Wait until the sand has settled before turning on your filter.

Is it okay to add the sand, then fill the tank, then put the salt in? After the sand has settled, turn on the filter?

Oh, and do I need to add all the ornaments and stuff in there like caves before cycling or can I start the cycle now and add them next week

Back
Top Bottom