Have the nitrogen cycle faster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfuzzymonster777

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, this is my first post, and I was wondering if there was any way to speed up the nitrogen cycle. I really want to add fish quickly. In my new FOWLR tank I have lots of live rock, live sand, and some snails and a cleaned shrimp I accidentally killed (too much ammonia that wasn't tested right.) There is also live rock from a tank at a pet store. Is there any way we could speed this up even more?

Slow and steady is best in SW. I know that sucks to hear. Add a piece of raw shrimp or raw fish and let it rot. It'll probably take 4-6 weeks to cycle properly. If you add fish before the cycle is done, it'll be a lot more work for you with many pwcs and loss of fish. I've been there and know that you're super excited to add fish, but I would let the cycle complete first.

+1 to that. You can't rush a saltwater tank, it will only cost you time and money later! Make sure your system is set up correctly and that you cycle the tank properly to avoid dead livestock. Always ask questions here, you will find excellent advice from people who have been there, done that and are happy to share their experiences. How big is the tank? What are your plans for it?

Ok, but I've read having dead table shrimp in there helps, you know, to make ammonia go higher so its turned into nitrate. Is this true? I have a dead cleaner shrimp in there (oops) and six dead Astraea snails (oops). Does this count? Also, to make stuff easier, here is a description of my 40 gallon: Lots of live rock, along the length of the tank, a dead cleaner shrimp, six dead snails, white-ish live sand, and an aqua clear filter. Also, a fan.

You can try a bottled bacteria product. Some say they work, but I've never used one. I just wait the 3-4 weeks like most others.

I recommend checking out the articles on here about how to set up a salt tank, how to cycle and how to acclimate new fish. It gets said a lot around here but research is the key to a successful salt tank!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom