Have you beat velvet??? Then I need your help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for advice from those that have had success treating velvet.

I've been treating for it with CopperSafe for 3 months and while I haven't lost a fish since the second week of treatment, it seems like I'm not really making any new progress. After many hours google searching it appears that the most recommended treatments are copper based. Seeing how most information indicates the infestation should have been eradicated after a few weeks I'd like to see if there is a better treatment out there that people have had success with.

Even though I'm certain it's velvet, I know that a lot of fish diseases are misdiagnosed so I'm open to suggestions (even though the symptoms are spot on and my fish look like the fish in picture results).

Here are the symptoms my fish display:
Occasional flashing (maybe once a week; frequently when I first started treatment), inflamed gills and redness, brown dusting over heads and back, gold dusting around gills and base of fins when flashlight is shined at an angle, and some apparently peeling skin on the worst of the infected cories. They're not nearly as bad as the "worst" cases and pictures I've seen on the internet, but I know they can't be comfortable. Everyone still has a voracious appetite and no one is laboring for oxygen at the surface so it appears I'm just maintaining a "liveable" level of infection!

Treatment: Tank temp raised to 86 degress to speed up life cycle. Coppersafe dosed and checked with API liquid copper test kit maintained at 2(ppm?). I do a 50% water change weekly and redose back to the correct ammount. I had originally tried a blackout for a week at the start of treatment but that didn't appear to do anything (and most websites seem to now say it's not necessary? Oh well, it's the internet lol).

Any advice from those of you who have beat velvet is greatly appreciated! I don't feel like buying another economy sized bottle of CopperSafe! Oh and I have cories so I can't do a salt treatment (but some sites say velvet is more salt tolerant than say ich... figures).

Oh yeah. This was a new tank setup and all fish were purchased at the same time at the same LFS so the entire tank was used as a QT. Thought I'd throw that in there before the inevitable "use a QT next time" post. Lol ;-)

Also, looking at Seachem Cupramine... might give that a shot since it's "active copper" versus "chleated?" If someone can translate what this means that would be awesome lol :)

Way kind of cories do you have? I have sturbai cories and they did fine with salt. The first time I put in 1 tablespoon per 5 and they seemed boyant. The next time I did 1 for 10 and they seemed normal.

Pandas and juliis. Were you treating for velvet when you tried? Maybe if this blackout period doesn't do anything again ill give salt a try.

Looking for success stories. Have lots of info on what treatments "should" work but I haven't read about any victories :-/

I used it to treat some fungus my barbs had on them... I've never had to treat velvet. All I no about it is the clear fins dont look so clear anymore...

Been doing a blackout + Coppersafe for the last 3 weeks. I "think" it might be slightly better... but it's probably me just "wishing" it was.

I'm still looking for anyone that's actually beat velvet and what treatment they used. Almost been treating with Coppersafe for 4 months now.

My one privatized lfs had a tank with velvet. He fixed it but took a long time. I can call and asked what method he used if you would like. He is closed now though and I do not think he is open tomorrow.

No problem he hasn't been open yet but I will call him in the morning.

I've read that copper (sulfate) treatments kill your plants, too. Coppersafe uses chleated copper which is supposed to be "safer." My plants (amazon swords and wisteria) have been in the Coppersafe bath just as long as the fish and they are still alive. They aren't growing like crazy but they aren't dead.

Could using chleated copper (Coppersafe) be ineffective at fighting the velvet versus an older copper sulfate medication since it's evident the chleated copper isn't even killing my plants? I'm just trying to think of every possible route to success.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

That's a very good idea. But would you take the chance with your plants? I guess Id rather save my fish... But he was not in today and I dint trust his only employee. So I didn't ask. I could try posting a question on his facebook page but I dot know. She said he would be in on Wednesday though. I will give him a call then.

Thanks for checking I really appreciate it. I think I might give it another week then try to treat some of the fish with another copper med in a hospital tank. Then if it works ill move the healthy ones into my clean tank and treat the rest.

Sounds like a good idea. But I will give him a call on Wednesday and ask what he used. Hopefully the treatment is ok with live plants...

I was told that he uses a parasite medication... He also said the copper should work but if it isn't you could try a product called ich-x??? I believe that what it is but I have never used it or looked it up.

Thanks for checking! I'm actually going to try Cupramine in a QT with a few of the fish and see how they do. I have to buy it online and a new heater for the 10 gallon so it'll give me another week to figure out something new to do.

Back
Top Bottom