Hazy Acrylic Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a used 60g cube today. Great price, but the acrylic is really hazy. I have not started to clean it, but I think that it will still have a foggy look to it afterwards. Should I wet sand it? I'm scared it will leave swirl marks. Can I use a liquid buffing compound like they sell for headlight restoration? If so, is there one that we know is safe with aquariums. I don't want anything that would be toxic to saltwater fish if some was still in there

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396584454.916574.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396584478.669300.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396584497.983266.jpg

I tried using some of the headlight plastic cleaner and polish. It does both of those things, so the haze is gone, but it has a lot of scratches. A lot. I'm not confident that with all the time it would take me that it would come out good. Plus I've got too much going on, so it would be weeks before I would get it done. I guess this is no longer a DIY, it's a have someone do it for you. :)

I got a new 10 gallon that came with scratches. I used toothpaste followed by vinegar rinse. I read people have used DVD repair kits, but I didn't try that.

I, also, have a floor to ceiling mirror with a scratch that I couldn't buff out. I cleaned the glass and tapped olive oil just on the scratch after cleaning. It mades the scratch unnoticible.

Back
Top Bottom