Hazy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling my tank (20 gallon) and the water is a bit hazy looking - is this a bacterial bloom? The tank has been up and running since 3/7 (10 days), but I just got my API test kit and ammonia in the tank on 3/11 (6 days). The tank has been cloudy the whole time. If I pour water in a glass from the tap, it is clear. Ammonia = 2ppm NitrItes = 0ppm Also - I have the temperature up around 80 (as high as the heater would go - hard to see those little thermometer numbers!! :rolleyes: The heater is in one corner and the thermometer is in the opposite corner if that matters?)

Generally the water shouldn't be hazy due to the presence of ammonia, nitrItes or nitrAtes... How did you wash the fish tank? What kind of filtration/aeration system are you using?

Ugh... insert head slap here... I didn't do any cleaning on the tank when I brought it home from the store - it didn't look dirty at all (not even any dust or anything). I'm a moron! :rolleyes:

It doesn't really look like a "cloud", but does seem more cloudy on one side of the tank than the other.

As for filtration/aeration - it's a 20 gallon and I'm using an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. Do you all generally recommend bubble stones, etc... for aeration? I don't have anything set up at this time, but certainly can do so.

You don't necessarily need bubble stones etc for aeration so long as the surface is agitated by the filter. However, it's always best to include a bit of aeration in the tank, not only does it saturates the tank with oxygen, some fishes enjoy playing around the bubbles too!

I just wanted to ask... do you have any gravel of any sorts at the bottom of the tank? Since you are cycling the tank, and bacterial colonies LOVE gravel stones... I assume you bought some?
If so, did you wash the gravels under cold running water for 10-20 minutes to remove miniature dust particles that typically comes with commercial gravel?
The reason I ask is because when I first started my tank, I didn't actually wash my gravel stones... and my entire tank was hazy/cloudy once I added water into the tank.

Sorry for the time out - I have been out of town for a few days. Good news is my ammonia is starting to drop, so should see nitrItes start to rise. Bad news... I'm still a moron - I didn't wash the gravel either. The best news? No fish have been harmed in the cycling of this tank!! :crazyeyes:

So what do you recommend? I don't want to loose my bacteria with the cycle started. I did a TON of water changes before the cycle when I added too much ammonia to my tank. One of the PWCs that I did was probably almost 100% (it was as much water as I could get out of the tank).

I want to get rid of this hazy water, but don't want to loose my bacteria.

oh ok... you confused me when you said
No fish have been harmed in the cycling of this tank
then said
I did a TON of water changes before the cycle when I added too much ammonia to my tank
... anyways, just give it some time. while the tank is cycling, this is very common. You dont have fish, so there is no real concern right now. If it doesnt clear up by the end of the cycle, then you should do some water changes, but as of right now, imo, its completely on track

If it doesnt clear up by the end of the cycle, then you should do some water changes, but as of right now, imo, its completely on track

Sorry for the confusion!!

Thanks for the help - I feel better now!! I have a python on my shopping list.

It would be good when you do water changes, you use a gravel vacuum. That way, the unwashed dust settles into the gravel, but you can suck it up without too much agitation.

If it is a bacterial bloom it will clear up in a few weeks. If it is dust from gravel it will clear up with filtration and pwc with gravel vacs.

It will allbe good soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom