Heater obsession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why is my clown fish obsessed with my heater and skimmer pump. Every now and then he will go up and flash against it. I though maybe he was sick but he does not do this to anything else in the tank but the heater and pump. Does anyone else have this happen to them.

PS i just bought a yellow tang for my tank. I just put him in tonight he is very pale in color. Is this because of his stress. He seems to twitch everynow and then also is this him getting use to the new water?

Why is my clown fish obsessed with my heater and skimmer pump. Every now and then he will go up and flash against it. I though maybe he was sick but he does not do this to anything else in the tank but the heater and pump. Does anyone else have this happen to them.

PS i just bought a yellow tang for my tank. I just put him in tonight he is very pale in color. Is this because of his stress. He seems to twitch everynow and then also is this him getting use to the new water?

Yes the pale color is because of stress, he should be colored up again by tomorrow. The bigger concern I would have is the twitching, this sounds like ICH to me. It wouldn't surprise me if you wake up one day this week to find that your yellow tang has white spots on it. Then the PIA begins. When you say "is this him gettin use to the new water" it scares me that you did not do a proper acclimation. How big is your tank and did you acclimate the new tang tonight?

yes i acclimated him for about an hour and a half of drip acclimation. He doesnt twitch much it seems like only when i come around the tank or the lights go on. possibly stress maybe.

If it is ich how do i treat a tank with no corals and no QT tank. I was told by someone that has had salt water for a very long time that by raising the TEMP slowly and lowering the salinity will help.

Is ich a disease where it is instant death like bloat in African cichlids? I had that before what a disaster.

yes i acclimated him for about an hour and a half of drip acclimation. He doesnt twitch much it seems like only when i come around the tank or the lights go on. possibly stress maybe.

If it is ich how do i treat a tank with no corals and no QT tank. I was told by someone that has had salt water for a very long time that by raising the TEMP slowly and lowering the salinity will help.

Is ich a disease where it is instant death like bloat in African cichlids? I had that before what a disaster.

Ich is not always insant death for saltwater fish. However, it definitely can lead to it. If you determine that the tank does have ich and you will have to look into hyposalinity or cupramine, but you must get a QT, otherwise you are going to kill inverts and good bacteria in your main tank.

The flashing can be normal with out ich . My fish do this just to certian areas of the tanks .. I kinda thought that it was "marking" its territory .. I have never seen any ich thank goodness ...
I would recomend a temporary tank , or such to do any ich treatments .. I would never recommend dosing anything in a tank so that if you would later decide to go reef you would not have any worries of leaching . Also most all treatments are fatal to inverts so even the hypO treatment could kill off inverts ..;)

I just got myself a Ocellaris Clown today and now all he does it hanging around by the filter and the filter clip. I guess the name fits, Clooney is looney :)

Brian, if you put him n tonight, he may simply be used to your LFS's lighting cycle and ready for bed. It could also be a little stress (as Rys statated) of his new home. Check him tomorrow, well after lights on. Sometimes fish will be shy. Sadie is right too, I have seen quite a few of my fish "flash", I "flash" when I have an itch too....lol.

Back
Top Bottom