Heater Placement Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Happy Easter everyone!

I have a 25 gallon Fluval Accent aquarium. When I got this 18 months ago, it came with everything to run it. In the middle of the aquarium (see picture) it had a water column where it had two filters and a slot for the heater. At the top was a spout where the water shot out. For the first 6 months I had the heater in there, but I became worried that the temperature of the water was on consistent throughout the aquarium since the warm water shot out of the spout. I since moved the heater to where it is now in the picture but it is an eyesore and hard to clean.

My question is, was I correct in thinking that the water would be more consistent with the heater outside the water column, or would it be okay for it to be in the column, out of sight?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I believe heater should be placed where there is water flow.
But since water is a good heat conductor, it can be placed anywhere. Mine is placed vertically near the bottom of the tank, next to the filter intake. My temps are consistent..

So essentially the water is sucked in through the black vents on the bottom, run through bio beads, comes up where the heater would be, and run trough a mechanical filter where the pump is, and shot up and out where the spout is at the top. I was just concerned that with the warm water coming out of there, the water would cool before it gets through the whole aquarium. So you think it is okay to put it back in there?

If water has time to cool down before it runs through the filter and come back out, the water flow would be cool wouldn't it? That would trigger the heater to heat the water. :)

Most heaters advise to direct water flow into it for better accuracy. If you have sensitive fishes, I wish get a heater controller...

Back
Top Bottom