Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubbies74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Really quick question guys. When cleaning and or doing PWC do you guys keep your heater on, or is it wise to unplug it during this time.
Sorry if this is a bad question but I keep my on and I wanted to know if this is a no no.

Thanks,
Rob.

The heater should always be off during a PWC for safety reasons, there's all kinds of stories about heaters exploding, even one with myself. I have everyone plugged into a GCFI strip, then it's just a matter of flipping one switch.

The heater should always be off during a PWC for safety reasons. I have everyone plugged into a GCFI strip, then it's just a matter of flipping one switch.

When filling your tanks do you get the water temp as close as you can to the tank water, or do you just fill her back up and turn your heater back on. Sorry for all the questions.

When filling your tanks do you get the water temp as close as you can to the tank water, or do you just fill her back up and turn your heater back on. Sorry for all the questions.

I'm a perfectionist in life, so I use a Raytek laser thermometer to get the temps almost identical. Although when in summer months I when the tank temps creep up a little I will drop the water change temp by a degree or two to slight lower the tanks overall temperature, like a cool shower on a hot day.

I'm a perfectionist in life, so I use a Raytek laser thermometer to get the temps almost identical. Although when in summer months I when the tank temps creep up a little I will drop the water change temp by a degree or two to slight lower the tanks overall temperature, like a cool shower on a hot day.

Thanks,
It's nice to hear how other people work their tanks, you can pick up some great advice from other people in this hobby.

I don't turn mine off, but they are all positioned about 3" off the substrate horizontally, well below the water line during my weekly 50% PWC. If they weren't, then I certainly would turn them off. Mine all have the auto shut off when they leave the water, but that's something I don't want to test. I also make sure the tank water is the exact same temp going in the tank, except the occasional dropto induce spawning on my 40 breeder

Back
Top Bottom