Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 300 watt heater in my 55 gallon stocked with neons and bronze corys. I have it set at 74 but the read out always stays at 75 thus never turns on. My question is as follows. Can I take out the heater and not worry about it? Will the 55 stay at a more stable temperature than a 20 gallon? My 100 watt heater broke in my 20 gallon and the temperature fluctuates to the point that I think it's killing my shrimp. Thank you for your time.

55 gallons of water will be more stable temperature-wise than a 20. However, you may not be able to get away with having no heater. It certainly won't hurt to try - just make sure you are monitoring the temp in the 55 closely.

I'm surprised your reading is consistently 75 - you may have a thermostat / thermometer issue. I have a 55g with heater set at 75. My house temp is usually between 69 and 72 and my tank drops 2 degrees every 6-8 hours or so. Unless your house thermostat is set in the 75 degree range then your tank temp would drop without the heater. It will take longer than a 20g but it will drop.

wawgt said:
I'm surprised your reading is consistently 75 - you may have a thermostat / thermometer issue. I have a 55g with heater set at 75. My house temp is usually between 69 and 72 and my tank drops 2 degrees every 6-8 hours or so. Unless your house thermostat is set in the 75 degree range then your tank temp would drop without the heater. It will take longer than a 20g but it will drop.

I thought the same thing of my heater. I've switched it out to the twenty gallon and put a thermostat in the 55 gallon and for the eight hours it has read 75 degrees Fahrenheit. We'll see what it reads in the morning after a heater-less night.

Back
Top Bottom