Heater question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best way to have a heater in an aquarium, I had to get another heater; trying to battle ICH. I've always had mine vertically on the back glass. I was reading over the paper that came with my heater and it said you can put them vertically or horizontally.. The horizontally part confused me. I didn't think that was (sorry for being blunt here) all that smart because the cord would come in contact with the water and I thought that is a no no? Is there a certain position that heats water better than other positions? I ask this because (now) I have two adjustable heaters, that according to the box go up to 86 degrees, each heater is 200w and rated for aquariums 30-60g. I have one on each end of my 55g with a preset heater that came with the last 30g I was given in he middle. My temp is around 79 now from what I can tell. Any suggestions?

What is the best way to have a heater in an aquarium, I had to get another heater; trying to battle ICH. I've always had mine vertically on the back glass. I was reading over the paper that came with my heater and it said you can put them vertically or horizontally.. The horizontally part confused me. I didn't think that was (sorry for being blunt here) all that smart because the cord would come in contact with the water and I thought that is a no no? Is there a certain position that heats water better than other positions? I ask this because (now) I have two adjustable heaters, that according to the box go up to 86 degrees, each heater is 200w and rated for aquariums 30-60g. I have one on each end of my 55g with a preset heater that came with the last 30g I was given in he middle. My temp is around 79 now from what I can tell. Any suggestions?

Two 200 watt heaters is a lot. Where do you live? You should really only need a 250 watt to keep the temp steady and to be able to raise it higher. What heaters do you have?

I always try to make sure the heater is in a place that gets water movement as in near a filter or a power head aimed at it. I don't think it really makes a difference on how its in the tank if there is good flow.

Two 200 watt heaters is a lot. Where do you live? You should really only need a 250 watt to keep the temp steady and to be able to raise it higher. What heaters do you have?

I always try to make sure the heater is in a place that gets water movement as in near a filter or a power head aimed at it. I don't think it really makes a difference on how its in the tank if there is good flow.

The adjustable ones I got from Walmart, they are made by whisper. I live in Georgia. Before I got the other adjustable heater today I had one adjustable and 3 preset ones and it barely kept the temp at 78, and that was with the adjustable one turned all the way up.

The adjustable ones I got from Walmart, they are made by whisper. I live in Georgia. Before I got the other adjustable heater today I had one adjustable and 3 preset ones and it barely kept the temp at 78, and that was with the adjustable one turned all the way up.

I've never used the preset ones, the few people that I know that do have had nothing but problems with them.

With mine I have it set higher ( 2 degrees)on the heater then it keeps my water so that's why I only buy the adjustable ones.

I've never used the preset ones, the few people that I know that do have had nothing but problems with them.

With mine I have it set higher ( 2 degrees)on the heater then it keeps my water so that's why I only buy the adjustable ones.

I can say even just buying the Walmart brand adjustable ones I like them a lot better. I guess I just don't understand why my temp hasn't raised much, I was expecting it to. I also bought air stones, I made a post on the unhealthy section and someone have me an article that said when raising temps you need increased aeration. I haven't used any extra aeration before this because I thought the water breaking the surface from my filters was enough. I've been trying to raise the temp in my tank since 11:30ish this morning. As far as I've gotten is around 79, and again that's with both the adjustable ones turned all the way up. I current have both my air stones near my heaters. Also on my heaters there isn't a certain degree you set the heater too, on the top where the dial is it just has on one side a '+' and a '-' that lets you know which direction your going in.

Hi there. If I'm following you correctly you are currently setting up your heaters with the top of the heaters sticking out of the water with the adjusting knob exposed? If that's the case don't worry , heaters are like your submersible pumps or Powerheads and are meant to be lowered into the water cord and all,..( do not let the plug come in contact with water of course ) .. You can position your heater vertically or horizontally it doesn't make any difference , heating the water is heating the water as long as you have flow in your tank the heated water will be dispersed evenly over time.
The only suggestion maybe to position them so you can easily adjust them on the go so they turn on and off at your desired temperature .
I just had to upgrade my tanks heater last week and due to the configuration of this new heater ( it had a separate digital controller )I removed my old one from the return section of my sump and the new one is now sitting vertically in a corner of my display tank . The old heater has taken up a new home in the bottom of my 55 gal drum that is used to mix and hold my weekly water changes.
Hope this helps ,... What's your real name btw ? ... Dary

Agreed with that ^^

You can try putting the heater near the bottom where the water would more than likely be cooler. Maybe that will help raise it a little.

Agreed with that ^^

You can try putting the heater near the bottom where the water would more than likely be cooler. Maybe that will help raise it a little.

I moved them down a bit further, their more centered in terms of how tall the back glass is. Should they within an inch or so of the gravel? Right now their probably about 3-4 inches above my gravel.

I moved them down a bit further, their more centered in terms of how tall the back glass is. Should they within an inch or so of the gravel? Right now their probably about 3-4 inches above my gravel.

Do those have a light when they go off and on? When you moved it down did it come on?

My heater is completely submerged about an halfa inch from gravel. The submersible ones can have the cord in the water. But I looked it up and it was recommended to have it vertical. I have an aqueon 100 watt.

I was told by a fish breeder to have it as close to the bottom as I can without it touching and to put it next to the filter intake so it spreads to warm water better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 20 gal and the 100 watt it turned halfway up and keeps water at 77. Mine had temp settings marked every two degrees I think I set it just a hair over 76 and its right on

I have a 20 gal and the 100 watt it turned halfway up and keeps water at 77. Mine had temp settings marked every two degrees I think I set it just a hair over 76 and its right on

Mine just came from Walmart, both I ended up getting when I had to have one and that was all
I had available to me at the time, and it was either it or nothing at all. Mine doesnt have a temp markings, it just has a '+' on the left side of the heater and a '-' on the right side so you know which direction your going in. Wish I had one with temp markings but I dont :(

Be careful with those heaters turned all the way up. Keep in mind that you are using two small heaters to raise the temperature of 55 gallons of water. While it might take them awhile to raise the temp., they are going to continuing going up and up if you don't shut them down once you hit the desired temp. I've had a single 200w heater nuke a 100gal tank because it went bad and just kept heating. Whatever you do, don't leave them turned up for an extended period of time if you are not there.

Well my aquarium came with one that said all glass brand and it had a 1 yr warranty and it had + and - minus and a mark in between and that was the preset. Well day2 I noticed condensation in it andtook it out and it had water in it. So I called petco and she had me bring the heater to her. All glass is a cheap aqueon product and she gave me a new aqueon heater that looked the same except it had temp markings and had a lifetime warranty

Invention idea a safety switch that if the water gets too hot it kills the power to the heater?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a good idea. I haven't had a problem with my heater tho. I read somewhere to get 2 small ones that way if one breaks the other one will keep the water from getting to cold and if it sticks on it wouldn't be enough to fry the tank

Be careful with those heaters turned all the way up. Keep in mind that you are using two small heaters to raise the temperature of 55 gallons of water. While it might take them awhile to raise the temp., they are going to continuing going up and up if you don't shut them down once you hit the desired temp. I've had a single 200w heater nuke a 100gal tank because it went bad and just kept heating. Whatever you do, don't leave them turned up for an extended period of time if you are not there.

Noted. I've been by my tank practically all day monitoring the temp. I'm hoping to get it a little over 80 before I go to bed tonight. I have moved them down closer to the gravel, hopefully I get an increase in temp soon!

Back
Top Bottom