Heaters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
Mt 20 gallon's heater blew out. It looks like it's full of crap or something. I don't know why. Anyone know of a good reliable heater?

I like the Hagen Tronic heaters and use them in almost every tank I own. They have proven to be reliable and accurate. I really like the optional heater guards that keep fish from burning themselves (like catfish are prone to do) and they keep the heaters from being damaged.

I like the Hagen Tronic heaters as well, others swear on the visitherm Stealth though. But they are all available at bigals. Get at least a 100W heater (5wpg rule for heater).

Avoid BA's basic cheapo heater, they are horrible to set...

I've used Allglass, had no problem with it, Visitherm is in mine now, easy to setup.. Tronic has also given no problems..

As for heaters go here are your top 3:

coming in at #3 is Tronic Heaters by Hagen. They are reliable and pretty accurate

ahead of Tronic in the #2 possition would be Ebo Jager Heaters now owned by Eheim (and we all know the quality that Ehiem has!)

Finally, in the TOP possition is Won Brothers Heaters. Hand down the BEST in heaters. I have used everything from vistherm stealth, to everything mentioned and Won Brothers are the BEST. Yeah you CAN pay a little more for them, but you can get them off of ebay for a pretty good price. Seriously ... Go with Won Brothers ... they do have heaters for just about every aquarium size!

SerLunchbox said:
As for heaters go here are your top 3:

coming in at #3 is Tronic Heaters by Hagen. They are reliable and pretty accurate

ahead of Tronic in the #2 possition would be Ebo Jager Heaters now owned by Eheim (and we all know the quality that Ehiem has!)

Finally, in the TOP possition is Won Brothers Heaters. Hand down the BEST in heaters. I have used everything from vistherm stealth, to everything mentioned and Won Brothers are the BEST. Yeah you CAN pay a little more for them, but you can get them off of ebay for a pretty good price. Seriously ... Go with Won Brothers ... they do have heaters for just about every aquarium size!

What makes them so great? I have a vistherm stealth and it was cheap, accurate, and basically indestructable (lifetime warranty).

You pay for the quality that you want ... if you want to pay for vistherm then pay for vistherm.

Yes it is a plastic, abeit a hard plastic, but every plastic has its downfalls.

The won brothers one is leagues better. Not only do you have a seperate thermometer for the unit itself (displays the current temperature on the pro 2 model) this is more accurate then most other heaters. Why you may ask, because in almsot every other heater, the thermostat and temperature gage is all compresed into one cylinder. The won brothers temperature reader is to be placed, according to its instructions, at least 12" away from your heater. Now call me crazy, but that can be some pretty accurate readings.

Next, plastic can crack. Heck so can metal, but i ask you, what pressure does it take plasic and glass to crack compared to metal?

Again, with this hobby, you pay for the quality you want. It is up to you as a hobbiest to determine what you think is right for you

does anyone have any experience with inline heaters??? i was thinking about one for my upgrade tank because i hate looking at heaters and i want more room for plants not a huge heater for a huge tank

I have the Hydor ETH 201 on my 30 gallon tank with a Filstar xP1 canister filter and I think it is great. It keeps the tank heated perfectly and doesn't take up any space inside the tank. I highly recommend these heaters to anyone with a canister filter. The ETH 300 should be perfect for your new 60 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom