Heeeeeeelp! My fish died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail Hudson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got two platys two days ago and the little one died!!! My water is perfect and the other platy is fine. It showed no signs of disease, so why did it die!!!!!:(

Abigail Hudson said:
I got two platys two days ago and the little one died!!! My water is perfect and the other platy is fine. It showed no signs of disease, so why did it die!!!!!:(

Could be numerous reasons, from how it was kept at the place of purchase, to how it was acclimated. Also if it was stressed, there are some diseases that show no sign until it's to late.

GoneFishing said:
Could be numerous reasons, from how it was kept at the place of purchase, to how it was acclimated. Also if it was stressed, there are some diseases that show no sign until it's to late.

Thx. Any ideas of names? Just wonderin.

Where did you get him from? I have had perfect water parameters and done everything I could to properly acclimate new fish, but it hasn't always worked. Being netted out of its home, put in a bag, and transported is stressful. If the fish was not perfectly healthy when you got it, sometimes they just simply do not make the transfer. It helps to make sure you acclimate them properly to the new tank, but I have done things by the textbook and still lost a couple fish. I am sorry that your fishy died though.

absolutangel04 said:
Where did you get him from? I have had perfect water parameters and done everything I could to properly acclimate new fish, but it hasn't always worked. Being netted out of its home, put in a bag, and transported is stressful. If the fish was not perfectly healthy when you got it, sometimes they just simply do not make the transfer. It helps to make sure you acclimate them properly to the new tank, but I have done things by the textbook and still lost a couple fish. I am sorry that your fishy died though.

I got her at lucky ocean aquarium, a reely good local aquarium store so i think it was healthy. It got so stressed out in yhe bag though, it looked like it was havin a seisure.

Abigail Hudson said:
I got her at lucky ocean aquarium, a reely good local aquarium store so i think it was healthy. It got so stressed out in yhe bag though, it looked like it was havin a seisure.

I'd suggest putting the new fish bag into a paper bag. It will reduce the natural daylight coming into the bag, which will in turn be more stress free for the fishies.

I'd suggest putting the new fish bag into a paper bag. It will reduce the natural daylight coming into the bag, which will in turn be more stress free for the fishies.
Yep. That is good advice. You have probably heard all this before, but it is good to feed all the tank residents and then turn off the tank lights while you are floating the new guys and introducing them. Also, IME, platies need plants and stuff to hide in or they get too stressed out. They are not big hiders and they swim around out in the open all the time, but they seem to like the option of hiding if they want to.

It got so stressed out in yhe bag though, it looked like it was havin a seisure.

I worked in a fish store many years ago and it was a policy NEVER to let a bagged fish leave the store unless the fish bag was INSIDE a paper bag, preferably two. Less light, and much less visual craziness coming at the fish during the frightening process of being rehomed.

Just kinder and less stressful all the way around. Did the pet store not give you a paper bag?

glassbird said:
I worked in a fish store many years ago and it was a policy NEVER to let a bagged fish leave the store unless the fish bag was INSIDE a paper bag, preferably two. Less light, and much less visual craziness coming at the fish during the frightening process of being rehomed.

Just kinder and less stressful all the way around. Did the pet store not give you a paper bag?

Sadly my petsmart doesn't do it, they don't even have paper bags. You could bring little sack lunch bags with you, only a few dollars for a pack. I'm going to do this so I always have them.

I just responded to your other thread but I'll post it here too. Your tank is still cycling if you let it run for a week and added fish a week later and it's only been three weeks and only one water change was done in that time. Unfortunately this is probably why your fish died, due to ammonia poisoning. Check out the guide in my signature, the one that says 'new tank with fish' and follow it (I linked to it in my other reply to you as well). Sorry again about your fish.

Back
Top Bottom