hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just posting my first to say hello and to say how nice the forum is its been a help to me this far i am almost brand new to the hobby.. my parents had a small 15 gallon tank when i was young and now i have a 10 gal tank given to me about 2 days ago... so Here we go in to the world of fish... i cant wait:fish2:

Welcome! Check out the link in my sig on fishless cycling, and post a thread in the getting started forum. We'll hook you up!

Welcome to AA. Where we fuel the addiction. ;)

I started with one aquarium, and now have 3 1/2 aquariums. I'm planning three more. Lol. MTS spreads fast here. (Multiple Tank Syndrome)

We also love pictures. *Hint, hint*

ahh gotya i will be working on pics i also am embarrassed to say i jumped the gun now that i have seen the thread in homedog's sig.. my tank came with a very large pleco which has been repossessed by his previous owner myi 2 yr old son had allready seen the tank with the pleco it and so i was not going to let him come home to a empty tank.. now mind theyou this tank was in horrible shape the previous owner allready admitted to me that he has not cleaned the tank in over a year (yuck) so everything was a lovly shade of green .. so i washed the entire tank and cleaned all the gravel and filled it with water let it sit for 3 to 4 hours to attain room temp which also happend to be a balmy 75F and when to the local wally world and picked up 4 fish and brought them home now im afraid they might not last very long

Justin83 said:
ahh gotya i will be working on pics i also am embarrassed to say i jumped the gun now that i have seen the thread in homedog's sig.. my tank came with a very large pleco which has been repossessed by his previous owner myi 2 yr old son had allready seen the tank with the pleco it and so i was not going to let him come home to a empty tank.. now mind theyou this tank was in horrible shape the previous owner allready admitted to me that he has not cleaned the tank in over a year (yuck) so everything was a lovly shade of green .. so i washed the entire tank and cleaned all the gravel and filled it with water let it sit for 3 to 4 hours to attain room temp which also happend to be a balmy 75F and when to the local wally world and picked up 4 fish and brought them home now im afraid they might not last very long

Walmart is also usually a very bad place to buy as well. Their stock is normally in very bad condition. :(

You're looking at daily water changes. Do you have a test kit? I recommend the API liquid master test kit.

Strips are notoriously inaccurate.

The ideal test results are:

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
<20 nitrate

Ammonia and nitrite will be okay up to .25 ppm, but zero is best. Nitrates can go up to forty before becoming worrisome, but most prefer to keep it below twenty.

Good luck.

Welcome to AA, your not alone in making that mistake. I just finished successfully cycling my fish-in tank, with no losses :) just keep up with daily water changes, and get a test kit as soon as you can :)

I only purchased 4 for now just so my son had something to watch and feed... I bought
1 dalmation mollie
1 male elegant guppie
1 sword tail
1 pinapple platie (I think) I know its a plattie just not sure of the variaty

Justin83 said:
I only purchased 4 for now just so my son had something to watch and feed... I bought
1 dalmation mollie
1 male elegant guppie
1 sword tail
1 pinapple platie (I think) I know its a plattie just not sure of the variaty

I'm sorry to say that the Molly doesn't belong in a ten gallon. There have been people who say they've often seen five inch mollies.

I'm realizing this now the more I read.. but I will keep him till he get real big then I will give him to anyone wh o wants him... I have some friends with custom made 50s so he might be happy there :).. I'm looking into a bigger tank if I can talk the wife into it :-D

Justin83 said:
I'm realizing this now the more I read.. but I will keep him till he get real big then I will give him to anyone wh o wants him... I have some friends with custom made 50s so he might be happy there :).. I'm looking into a bigger tank if I can talk the wife into it :-D

Tell her it will save the fish, which will save money in the long run. Or get a huge tank that doubles as a swimming pool!!!

I was told by the moron at wallymart that the mollie wouldn't get very big.. only as big as its surroundings.. I have pics of the tank and fish but the app on my phone won't let me upload I will have to upload them when I get home.... Edit* the swimming pool idea I like.. swimming with your fish... sounds like a good book lol

Not to mention that in a bog tank they will breed like crazy and more than pay for themselves!

What is a good tank to start with I would like a nice display of fish but I live in a mobile home so space is limited..

Justin83 said:
I was told by the moron at wallymart that the mollie wouldn't get very big.. only as big as its surroundings.. I have pics of the tank and fish but the app on my phone won't let me upload I will have to upload them when I get home

Yeah, that's called stunting...

I only use my iPod. If you go into where you write a post, it should say attachments at the top, and you click on that.

Yeah a fish will 'adapt' to a smaller than normal tank it isn't healthy. I'm with bettababe here.

My little aquarium

Closer shot

ok picture of my sword tail and platie

again sword tail and platie

this guppie is really fast lol ... has some really nice coloration on his tail though

Closer pic of my Platie

im sorry that the pic stink they were taken on my phone i will try and get ones with a regular camera soon

Back
Top Bottom