Hello and stocking ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluBlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Thanks for having me!

Still a newbie but experienced enough to know that I put my first round of fish through a lot of unneeded stress.

It all started back in February with a promise of 3 blue fish for my daughter who was suddenly afraid of the dark. Here I was picturing a mini fish bowl with a couple of fish friends...

Well... I did enough research to understand I needed a bigger tank so I walked out with 20 gallons and the assurance from my fish store that with prime and stability I’d be good to add a few within 2-3 days. I thought I was doing the right thing by taking in a water sample. They gave me the ok and we added our first three glofish tetra (kid’s tank, remember). A few weeks and an alge bloom later, we added a pleco.

My own obsession has since spiralled. We now have 6 glo fishtetra and 5 glofish danios and 3 other danios in there (plus the Pleco who I now know will out grow the tank soon).

I’m one week into a cycle on MY new tank... a 55 gallon! This time I’m going to do it right with a real cycle.

Long term plan is to relocate the danios to the new tank and let my daughter enjoy the vibrant glofish tetras in her 20 gallon. Pleco will be moved to his new home too, but I know even a 55 is too small for him long term.

Inexperienced and so looking for suggestions and help to make this as enjoyable as possible for these little fish! Excited to be part of this community!

For the new 55 gallon, I’m thinking 3 platy, let them breed and then separate males and females. Add in my danios and get a few more. That’s about as creative as I’ve gotten. Stocking suggestions welcome. Like I said, I’m very green!

Ok follow up questions that I might as well ask.
1)Is my current 20 gallon way over stocked (once I get the Pleco out)
- 6 glofish tetra
- 5 glofish danio
- 3 other danio

2) Do danio need to be with their same type? Like are my glofish danio and my other 3 danio happy together or should I only be getting one style? (I don’t know the lingo... clearly)

3) how fast do Pleco grow? Do you think my 55 gallon will be ok for him the next year or two?

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom