Hello, can you help me identify this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benchi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Brand new to the forum, though I have been a secret lurker for a while. I was just at my lfs as we are setting up a beta tank at work, and noticed this guy in one of the tanks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422586532.050457.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422586551.916119.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422586564.150611.jpg

I'm concerned because when I first set up my tank a big box store pet shop suggested I get three (!!) for a cleanup crew in my 50g and the one at the lfs was at least 10 inches long! The lfs I was at today takes in unwanted/unsuitable fish, but requires a call in advance to ensure they have tank room, but I don't know what they're called. They were sold to me as cories, but I don't think that's what they are. Mine are only about 2-3 inches a piece but they will quickly outgrow my tank if they get that big!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a featherfin catfish to me. They get like 5-7 inches I think and can be territorial.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Judging by the cichlid in the second pic I'm 100% sure from my observation it's a featherfin catfish.

Caleb

That's great! Thanks for such a quick reply! I'm doing some googling and it seems like you're bang on! Definitely have huge territorial issues, and while they used to run the bottom if the tank they are starting to get uppity with the mid and too swimmers.

Thanks again!

That's great! Thanks for such a quick reply! I'm doing some googling and it seems like you're bang on! Definitely have huge territorial issues, and while they used to run the bottom if the tank they are starting to get uppity with the mid and too swimmers.

Thanks again!

Yeah they keep them with the cichlids to balance the territorial issues with them. If you get one make sure it has hiding places so it can establish its territory.

Caleb

It is an African Featherfin Catfish

Back
Top Bottom