hello from my improbable aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classarche

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello seasoned fishkeepers,

I have had no luck with internet searches and would love any advice.

Two weeks ago I discovered 7 otocinclus fry in my tank! :confused: I had noticed one of the otos looked pregnant previously but all of my internet searches said that otos very rarely breed in captivity and/or the fry do not usually survive. I left the fry in the tank, added a little extra algae, and figured I would be watching Darwin's theory in action.

Fast forward two weeks and all 7 of the little guys are thriving. They are about a centimeter long and very active. (The adults are about 3 centimeters.)

When do I need to 're-home' the fry? I have been doing extra water changes to avoid waste overload from the additional fish and everyone seems happy so far.

Thanks to anybody with ideas! :)

Hello seasoned fishkeepers,

I have had no luck with internet searches and would love any advice.

Two weeks ago I discovered 7 otocinclus fry in my tank! :confused: I had noticed one of the otos looked pregnant previously but all of my internet searches said that otos very rarely breed in captivity and/or the fry do not usually survive. I left the fry in the tank, added a little extra algae, and figured I would be watching Darwin's theory in action.

Fast forward two weeks and all 7 of the little guys are thriving. They are about a centimeter long and very active. (The adults are about 3 centimeters.)

When do I need to 're-home' the fry? I have been doing extra water changes to avoid waste overload from the additional fish and everyone seems happy so far.

Thanks to anybody with ideas! :)

What size is the tank and what other fish do you keep with them, what size and type filter?

How many Oto adults do you have, and :welcome: !

What size is the tank and what other fish do you keep with them, what size and type filter?

Sorry. I'll have to check and see if my info comes up automatically. I thought it did.

I have 3 adult otocincli, 1 jeweled cory, and a blind rescue male double tail betta, Homer.

I know you'll appreciate this as a betta lover. I was at Petco in January and there were 2 bettas, one of which looked like he was about to die. I felt so badly for him that I brought him home to give a comfortable place to die in my 1 1/2 gallon quarantine tank.

Well the little guy started improving so I moved him to my ten gallon. Once he was in the bigger tank I realized he was bumping into the decor. :huh:

Talk about serendipity. If Homer wasn't blind, these oto babies might not have made it. I'm not sure if it's Homer 's blindness or natural temperament but he's not aggressive at all.

I'd keep them all! Such a teeny tiny bioload, and a pretty cool achievement! They'll be so happy together :)

For now I plan to leave them together but I think 11 adults in a ten gallon would be a stressed tank. I have a friend with a thirty gallon who lost her pleco recently. She's excited to get new algae eaters.

Excellent! Maybe in time you will have a bigger tank and if you get more babies... Sharing is such fun!!!

Homer sounds like a nice little guy and lucky that you wanted to love and care for him!!!

Back
Top Bottom