Hello! new here :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubinthebetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello people im new here and to the whole fish world :) i have had 2 betas -Fredrick and Sushi- before this one and they both lasted about 1 yearish and i want to have Rubin with me as long as possible!! so im open to any ideas so more info about Rubin he is a red veiltail beta fish and i love him! i have a 10g tank with gravel and a submarine hiding place :) its only him in the tank and my dad thinks hes lonely so hes taking me to get other fish for him and i dont want to make the wrong choice i know if it doesnt nip or have longer fins its fine but he attacked a big fat harmless gold fish-RIP SJ-once and it died the next day :( it looked like it was having cesures so i wanna know what that was so yeah srry for taking up soo much time :p thanks : )

Maybe look into Pygmy or panda cories. They will help keep your tank clean, are very peaceful and are quite entertaining.

Welcome to AA :)

Harlequin rasboras are commonly kept with bettas in a tank of your size, maybe a school of 4-5

FYI fish don't tend to get lonely, especially bettas. They prefer being on their own. I have a betta in a 10 gal and he's the happiest fish around. Also goldfish 1) need a 20 gal tank minimum and 2) they are coldwater fish, not tropical. Why not tell your dad that the fish is fine? :) I would really advise against purchasing fish on the spur of the moment. At the very least go to the store and see what fish they have and research ones you might like to see if they'd go in the 10 gal. In a 10 gal you're pretty limited though to either nano fish (ember tetra, chili rasbora, celestial pearl danio) or maybe some very small cory like hastus (Dwarf) which aren't often commonly found in local stores. You couuld try shrimp but if the betta eats them it could be an expensive snack. A snail might be the safest bet to try. All this of course again would depend on the bettas personality; if he already attacked another fish chances are he wants to be alone.

Also keep in mind that if you add more fish the bacteria need to adjust so it's likely you'll go into a mini-cycle for a while so extra water changes would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom