hello people....new with 75gal tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lesmer08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can somebody help me to set up my 75gal tank?.....i really dont have idea and i guess theres a lot of people in here can help me up....thanks

Read through the links listed above. Once you have decided what type of tank you want we can give ideas on types of fish to look into. Also when you post back let us know water readings of your tap water. That sometimes puts you in the right direction if you don't intend on adding chems to the tank to change PH and water hardness.

good am guys thanks for the information...heres what happen i bought a 75gal tank 2 weeks ago with a sand and oxygen i dont know if ur familiar with this quantum 3780....everybody was excited to set it up..we washed the sand, black pebbles actually and then place it in the tank..run the tap water and fill the tank...after we turn on the oxygen and the light too..we had the water on the tank for 3 hrs before we added the fish which was still inside the store bag ( we have 10 pcs of small koi fish) for 1hr because that was their advice and we do so....within the next 6 hrs when we woke up all the fish was dead and that time i knew that theres a big mistake in there......

im glad i came to knw u guys here and im starting to learn the basic and the technicalities of having aquarium at home...
by the way im from philippines...

thanks for the infoImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413608792.202357.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

hahaha...not really far away lol......btw is my oxygen works well with my tank?coz i find it very strong whenever its on and its throwing the air on the right side of my tank im thinkin its also one reason why the fish died.....do i need to change it?i cant find anyone in the forum mentioning abt the brand of my oxygen....

yes its a fresh water tank...il surely buy that....because yesterday the water on the tank is slightly clear but then it becomes cloudy again today....whats happening with the tank?is it really difficult to do the cycle in 75 gallon tank?

Welcome! You came to the right place. Congratulations on your new tank. If the water has a white cloudy look to it then it's a bacterial bloom. I wouldn't say that cycling is difficult, just takes patience and a lot of it.
Do you have a filter for your tank or is it just an air pump?

im using an quantum brand of air pump which an over head filter on it...when it is on i can tell that it is very strong sometimes i think that it also one reason why my fish died( i guess ive had 20 fish...so sad)..., now i really wanted to do in depth understanding to make my 75g tank up and running....im willing to start from the beggining again..thanks for the reply

heres my tank look like after 5 days...still cloudy....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413705266.801167.jpg

Have you cleaned your filter media? I may be wrong, but it looks like your filter pump may be causing it as the cloudiness doesn't extend fully to the bottom and your fish are trying to hide at the furthest point. Use a bowl of water from the tank to clean your filter rather than tap water

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What were you hoping to do with such a large tank? What fish are you interested in? Do you want salt or fresh?

So after reading all that you posted, I would suggest letting your tank cycle before adding fish. I have been excited in the past and jumped the gun before as well. You need to let your tank run at least a week with no fish to get all the good bacteria in and let your start up chemicals balance the water out of things such as chlorine and metals that are found in tap water.
Fish are almost guaranteed to die adding them only 3 hours after set up just because of water conditions.
What kind of fish do you want to have?

hi balguppiegilr thanks for the message i guess adding the fish an hr before the tank was set up was out of our being excited to the tank..10 koi fish was added there and died the next day i was clueless what happen....and so i started to read and watch video to make my tank looks fab and good too as well as to see fishes schooling inside the tank i like koi fish but neon tetra fish always amaze me...i will try to cycle the tank well 10 days before adding the fish and il make sure that i will have the test water kit available to make my tank working and to my mom happy too...( its her dream to have aquarium actually )..... thanks again for guiding me all thru out this phase of hardship hehehehe.....

So after reading all that you posted, I would suggest letting your tank cycle before adding fish. I have been excited in the past and jumped the gun before as well. You need to let your tank run at least a week with no fish to get all the good bacteria in and let your start up chemicals balance the water out of things such as chlorine and metals that are found in tap water.
Fish are almost guaranteed to die adding them only 3 hours after set up just because of water conditions.
What kind of fish do you want to have?

Cycling the tank is extremely important. It takes much longer than a week to cycle a tank (takes 3-6 weeks), unless you are referring to using bottled bacteria, in which case you would not want to let it run for that week without fish. In any event, it doesn't seem like a fishless cycle is a possibility because there are already fish in the tank.

You do not have to wait for water conditioner to "work" before adding fish. Water conditioners work on contact. The fish will not die in 3 hours after setting up the tank just because of the water conditions, assuming water conditioner is used.

just wanna ask this again plsssss....

just incase im going to it again from the very beginning.....

il have my 75g tank filled with tap water
run the oxygen with its filter...

what do i need to do next in order for me to add the fish...( im planning to put neon tetra is it okay?) and if not whats the best fish to start with?

thanks a lot guys...

You need to cycle your tank. There are different ways to do this. You can do a fish in cycle, a fishless cycle, bottled bacteria cycle, or an instant cycle using mature filter media from another tank. Or if you are good with plants, you can do a silent cycle.

You also need to treat the water with water conditioner to make is safe for the fish.

The method of cycling you do will determine your next steps.

how is the fish in cylcle procedure and thw bottle cycle procdure?

the bottle bacteria cycle i mean...

Back
Top Bottom