Hello to all... Newbie from the UK here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Floyd1976

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Well, after a few years of thinking about it, we have finally sold our tropical tank and am currently filling my new 60 gallon tank with RO water.

We have some sand (not live) and a several pieces of ocean rock (not live) at present. Once full I am going to run the filter and pump and heat the water to the correct temp. Once warm, I was planning on adding the salt. But reading some other threads, it sounds like it is best to mix it in aerated water first.. Surely if I add it very gradually to my tank it will be fine?? Another very silly question.. What salt levels am I looking for? I have bought a refractometre (sp?)

Once this has been done I was planning on adding some live rock. But this also seems like a bad idea due to the 'cycle'.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark[/b]

Hi mark. Welcome to AA!

First off, since you are just starting the tank, you can add salt after the fact. If your tank was up and running already with livestock, then you would need to mix and aerate it first.
SW levels vary from 1.021 to 1.24. This seems to be typical for most people. The refractometer was a good choice!
As far as LR goes, you can cycle the tank with it now. In fact, it is better to add it now rather than later. Just get between 1 1/2 - 2lbs. per gallon and you will have a great biological filtration established.
Last item, for additional information, Robert Fenner has a great book called "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist." This book answers a lot of questions during the setup of the tank, as well as maintenance, fish compatibility, and corals. I personally own this book, and I look at it all the time. HTH

Mike

Many thanks for the reply.

The tank is almost full now, so, should be able to turn the heater on later today.

If the water can be 'cycled' with live rock, what are all the threads about a dead prawn (shimp) saying? I have read these, and from what they have said, the live rock may die during the 'cycle'..

I have ordered the book you mentioned and it will be here tomorrow, I am sure that there will be lots of information in there that I can use.

Mark

It really depends on what LR you want to get. Some come with critters on them that you may want to keep in your tank, and some places just sell the LR without the critters. The dead shrimp is for those who either don't have LR, or those who want to keep the life on the LR.
You will truly enjoy that book. 8)

Mike

I see.. I think!!!!! 8O

So, will the LR die?? Or just any critters that happen to be on/in the rock?

Of course I will ask the people at my local shop aswell, but it is always good to get other opinions from those who actually keep fish!!

Mark

Cycling a tank using LR will have some dye off, which is normal. Some critters will not make it during that time.
For instance, if I were buying LR from liverocks.com I would not use it to cycle the tank with as it sometimes has a lot of life on it (crabs, anemones, starfish, etc.). If it were just LR with no critters, then I would use it to cycle the tank.
As always, you can ask anyone here as well for opinions.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom