Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessebs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm Jesse from Fort Collins, Colorado, and I just wanted to introduce myself here.

I just picked up a 29 gallon tank yesterday, and am looking forward to starting my aquarium. I'm going to start with a freshwater, and if I enjoy it and am able to sustain it, I'll probably move over to a saltwater in a couple of years. I'm not ready to make that financial commitment until I know it's something I'm going to do long term. I had a couple of aquariums when I was a kid, but it's been a long time and I'm considering myself a beginner (with a lot of research).

I still have a few more supplies to get, but will begin my fishless cycle in the next couple of days. After that, I'll add some schooling fish and a few larger fish.

I'll probably also want to add some plants at some point as well as adding some river rocks from local sources.

I've attached a picture of what I have so far.

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 65
:welcome: to AA!
I'd go for a black background and the plants are a great idea as I think they would look great in there. Looks like a really nice start :)

Thanks. I've generally been against backgrounds as I think they take away from the tank, but black is basic enough that I think it would be okay.

Do you think the plants should be in there during the cycle, or it's okay to add them after the tank is established?

jessebs said:
Thanks. I've generally been against backgrounds as I think they take away from the tank, but black is basic enough that I think it would be okay.

Do you think the plants should be in there during the cycle, or it's okay to add them after the tank is established?

It will help the cycle with them being in

I filled the tank with water last night and started getting everything assembled. Will probably pick up some plants today. I'm also missing a part to my filter, so hopefully can get it soon.

My wife is trying to convince me to get a solid green backdrop. She will probably win that battle. Also, I'm going to pick up a mercury thermometer. I don't trust the one that I have that tapes to the outside of the tank.

One additional question came up - a lot of the fishless cycling guides talk about the need for an airstone. Is this really a requirement to get the cycle going? It'd be great to not have to buy that and a pump.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom