Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I am new to the forum and relatively new to keeping fish so will have a lot of questions to ask.

I have set up my 105 litre freshwater fish tank. It has completed it's cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites aren't present and there are low nitrates. There are currently no inhabitants in the tank. I added fish flakes weeks ago to help speed up the process.

Brown Algae has formed on the walls of the tank and a small oily layer is along the top of the water. The driftwood has white fluffy bubbles all over it and the rocks have small algae hairs along them. I have been doing 25% water changes every two days.

I'm wondering what inhabitant I should add first to the tank, I think some form of algae eater would be necessary to help lower the algae levels. I'm thinking a small pleco (most likely bristlenose) or shrimp? Although it may be too early.

Also what could've caused the symptoms my tank is showing or is it natural?

Hello and welcome Jamie, it's wonderful to have you here. Algae is common in a new tank and will go away with time, so don't worry. What you have sounds completely normal. My own tank is also experiencing an algae bloom.
Best of luck :)

Hello and welcome Jamie, it's wonderful to have you here. Algae is common in a new tank and will go away with time, so don't worry. What you have sounds completely normal. My own tank is also experiencing an algae bloom.
Best of luck :)

Should I wait before I get fish or is it okay ?

The diatoms could be weeks to months. Do your 50 percent wc and manually remove them as needed. The white debris on your wood is probably sugar and starches leeching which is ok and normal.

Rocks with algae hairs on them could be a number of things. That may not be good. Could be gha, gsa, clado ? We need a fts. We need to know your light and your schedule.

You are the best clean up crew for algae. Need to find the source of the inbalance.

I've heard it's better to fishless cycle, though it is also possible to safely conduct a fish-in cycle if you're vigilant and you know what you're doing. It's up to you which you want to prefer, I would suggest researching both and weighing pros and cons. There in an excellent article on this site about it.
If you were to add stock, I'd add the hardiest fish that you have on your stocking list and be diligent about testing and changing water.
Personally, I ended up fish-in cycling despite wanting to fishless cycle (long story), but it worked out just fine as I made sure to stay on top of everything.
With regards to the algae, flchamp gave you some great advice. You and I will just have to be patient while they go away! :)

Back
Top Bottom