HELP!!! 2 Black Ghost knife fish dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stephens0813 said:
Yes i just added my 5 dime sized tiger barbs and i added my old 10 gallon filter to the tank so i have a topfin 20 and an aqueon 55 running on it since i have alot of fish in it i thought that would be a good idea... (is it?) lol

As long as you didn't just totally remove a filter, that's good. The vast majority of bacteria lives in the filter media, so it's a disaster to just throw it away. When you totally switch to the new filter, make sure you transfer all the stuff from the old to the new.

I think your tank is cycled, and you're just having a mini cycle. That is when your bacteria has adjusted to the fish you have in there, and when you add more fish it takes time to adjust and grow more bacteria to handle it. Only thing you can do is pwc's often to keep the ammonia as low as possible.

As to why the fish died? Hmm... It is likely that your mini cycle had really spiked the ammonia level for a time before the bacteria could handle it and the high levels were too much for the fish. I don't know off the top of my head how hardy ghost knives are. Believe it or not, stress can also do fish in. Has there been a lot of fighting in the tank? I don't believe 2 ghost knives will coexist. Same with the rainbow sharks...you've gotta get one outta there pronto. It's not your fault that you bought non compatible fish, it's the idiot at the lfs's. Many people buy the fish they like and the people don't ask any questions. I saw a guy buying 2 oscars and a school of tetras for the same tank the other day and it took me 15 minutes to talk him out of it. I'd also check out a site called aqadvisor.com. Type in the fish and the number of them you have and see what it says about compatibility and stocking percentage. This site isn't the bible, but will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. I have a feeling you're overstocked, and you definitely have incompatible fish

At this point you just need to constantly monitor the water parameters and do pwc's any time you see the levels creeping up. Make sure you use your dechlorinator every time. It just takes time for your bio-filter to adjust to the new fish. You've gotta find new homes for some of your fish, and in the future don't listen to a darn thing the "expert" at the store tells you...ask us here :)

Ok thanks alot :)
So a mini cycle is when I add more fish to my tank and the already established bacteria can't keep up? Is there any way I can avoid this? Maybe like only add one fish at a time? Or is it something that will always happen when adding fish?

Yeah definitely. I will ask advice on here first and then just ignore the lfs guy. Thanks again

stephens0813 said:
Ok thanks alot :)
So a mini cycle is when I add more fish to my tank and the already established bacteria can't keep up? Is there any way I can avoid this? Maybe like only add one fish at a time? Or is it something that will always happen when adding fish?

Yeah definitely. I will ask advice on here first and then just ignore the lfs guy. Thanks again

Yeah, you've just got to add slowly and keep a close eye on your levels. It's 2:30am my time, so I'm turning in for the night. :) I'll check back in tomorrow to see how things are going. Check out that site I told you about and we'll chat later good night!

Can i just tell you some things about the fish you bought just in case you want to get them again.

1) Is that they get to around 30cm or 12", a tank of around 90gal will be very sufficent for one of them. This is provided that no other fish are in the tank.
2) Is that they are very hard to feed. They only like to eat live foods and frozen foods. Like blood worms and brine shrimp. Trying to feed the other foods like flake is a difficult process. I find that if you defrost the shrimp and the mix in little bits of the flake that will eventually get them to eat that. Also peas are very good for their digestive system
3) Is that they are one of the best fish in the fish world. They way they swim and look its awesome. But some special needs for their tank should be provided. You should have some plastic pipes all around the tank for the fish to swim through and play. Also dim lighting will help because it likes night better. Plenty of driftwood hidding spots or rocks.

Now have fun with these fish! Because i have!

Ok, now here comes the stocking police... Those tiger barbs are going to get way to aggressive to keep in that tank with other fish. You either need to take them all back, or turn it into a tiger barb only tank with the pleco. Second... CONGRATULATIONS!!! you might be the first newbie I know that bought the rubberlip, rather then a common pleco! He will stay the perfect size to your tank. Kudos there. Now for more bad news... Both rainbow sharks really need to go, unless you have a 55 gallon for each of them. It's not so much aggression in general, they just need space to claim a territory. I'd take at least both rainbows, if not all the fish back, so you can fishless cycle, solve these stocking issues, and start fresh, with fish that belong in your tank. I know it stinks, but it's really important.

Yeah I think I'm going to do a tiger barb only tank with my pleco. My lfs doesn't take fish but while I was asking someone overheard me and said they would take both of them from me. He has a 75 gallon tank. I know its not two 55's but I figured that it is better than my 26 gallon tank. So am I still overstocked with my 8 barbs? Or am I good to keep those?

The barbs are fine just so long as you don't add anymore. I'd definitely give that guy the two of them.

And one last thing... Changed the link in my sig again. This time it's to a better explanation... Check it out!

And one last thing... Changed the link in my sig again. This time it's to a better explanation... Check it out!

I checked your signature out and began reading it and it's very helpful. Thanks for sharing this info. I have already added it to my favorites bar and i will definately share your page if anyone ever asks me for any of this info.

Yeah i plan on just keeping the tigers as is and not adding anymore. Hopefully i can find somewhere that sells tanks cheap or used ones cause i really like the sharks and would like to get one again in the future.

stephens0813 said:
I checked your signature out and began reading it and it's very helpful. Thanks for sharing this info. I have already added it to my favorites bar and i will definately share your page if anyone ever asks me for any of this info.

Yeah i plan on just keeping the tigers as is and not adding anymore. Hopefully i can find somewhere that sells tanks cheap or used ones cause i really like the sharks and would like to get one again in the future.

Ya, that's me too! Have you looked at my avatar? I love rainbow sharks. I got one for a ten gallon when I was just starting out... but it jumped ship and my cat got it before I could rehome him. :( glad you like the link though! My buddy eco23 wrote it. Its very useful. You can Pm him, or me if you've got any questions about it.

Ok thanks for the offer on the help :) yeah once I get a bigger tank that is one of the fish that I will get asap. After I cycle it of course. Now that I know about fishless cycling.

stephens0813 said:
Ok thanks for the offer on the help :) yeah once I get a bigger tank that is one of the fish that I will get asap. After I cycle it of course. Now that I know about fishless cycling.

Ya, it definitely saves a lot of heartbreak. Also make sure to thoroughly research any fish you'd like to put in your tank, so as not to be swayed by the store clerks lenient advice.

Homedog98 said:
Ya, it definitely saves a lot of heartbreak. Also make sure to thoroughly research any fish you'd like to put in your tank, so as not to be swayed by the store clerks lenient advice.

Rule #1- Don't listen to the guy at the lfs
Rule #2- Don't listen to the guy at the lfs
Rule #3- whatever the guy at the lfs tells you...do the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom