Help/Advice setting up 36G BowFront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshokKD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Hobbyist,

1st am relatively new to aquarium hobby and still learning. :)

I am upgrading from my 10G freshwater to 36G planted tank. "Thanks to the Thanks Givings" :).
I have already setup a tank and right now its cycling. Showed initial signs of ammonia today morning and will be doing my 1st 20% water change today after office.

For planting, I am using Eco-complete aquarium substrate (Plus white sand bed on one corner) and thinking of growing a carpet plants like hair grass or cuba. Any suggestion on which one to opt for? Based on internet reading hairgrass seems to be easier to grow and may help me in my learning. Also I am thinking of putting few more plants like Red Ludwigia and Java fern. I already have anubias nana which I have grown/propagated in my old 10G successfully. So planning to use and propagate it further in my 36G. Can someone suggest any other options than this, mostly mid or background (colorful options) ? :)

On stalking, I am planing to use lots of neon tetra, maybe 10/15. I already have 6 which I have put in in tank while cycling. (Feeling bad while cycling with fish, tried very hard to get that so called pure ammonia which I didn't find anywhere around me. Tried all hardware stores :(). With neon tetras thinking of putting few Gourami. I successfully breed guppies in my old 10G so staying away from any females for now, as there was time when my 10G was flooded with baby guppies.

For algae/bottom feeding, I have one white pleco. Thinking of adding Oto cat and Amano shrimp/cherry shrimp. I was at my LFS other day and guy over there suggested me to get the flying fox for algae and snails. Not sure if flying fox will be nippy. Anyone having issues with FF?

Other than choices I am making for fish is there any other options I can take, again the colorful ones :)

On Tank setup, I am using Aquon Pro heater 150W. My filter is Marinland Penguin Biowheel 200. Well filter manual says its good enough till 50G tank but am not so sure about it, as after running it for almost a week my water is not super clear. I think its showing some sand particles. not sure to get rid of that to get the clear water. I was able to keep very clear water in my 10G though not enough success here. One thing I did yesterday was took out the carbon filter came with the filter and customized filter with Fluval 70g sponge and bioamax. Was hoping to get the clear water by morning but no success. Am I need to just wait and see? Or anything else I can do to clear the water?

Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated. I will post few images of my new setup.

Thanks Hobbyist!! :)

Regards,
Ashok

Hello Hobbyist,

1st am relatively new to aquarium hobby and still learning. :)

I am upgrading from my 10G freshwater to 36G planted tank. "Thanks to the Thanks Givings" :).

I have already setup a tank and right now its cycling. Showed initial signs of ammonia today morning and will be doing my 1st 20% water change today after office.

For planting, I am using Eco-complete aquarium substrate (Plus white sand bed on one corner) and thinking of growing a carpet plants like hair grass or cuba. Any suggestion on which one to opt for? Based on internet reading hairgrass seems to be easier to grow and may help me in my learning. Also I am thinking of putting few more plants like Red Ludwigia and Java fern. I already have anubias nana which I have grown/propagated in my old 10G successfully. So planning to use and propagate it further in my 36G. Can someone suggest any other options than this, mostly mid or background (colorful options) ? :)

On stalking, I am planing to use lots of neon tetra, maybe 10/15. I already have 6 which I have put in in tank while cycling. (Feeling bad while cycling with fish, tried very hard to get that so called pure ammonia which I didn't find anywhere around me. Tried all hardware stores :(). With neon tetras thinking of putting few Gourami. I successfully breed guppies in my old 10G so staying away from any females for now, as there was time when my 10G was flooded with baby guppies.

For algae/bottom feeding, I have one white pleco. Thinking of adding Oto cat and Amano shrimp/cherry shrimp. I was at my LFS other day and guy over there suggested me to get the flying fox for algae and snails. Not sure if flying fox will be nippy. Anyone having issues with FF?

Other than choices I am making for fish is there any other options I can take, again the colorful ones :)

On Tank setup, I am using Aquon Pro heater 150W. My filter is Marinland Penguin Biowheel 200. Well filter manual says its good enough till 50G tank but am not so sure about it, as after running it for almost a week my water is not super clear. I think its showing some sand particles. not sure to get rid of that to get the clear water. I was able to keep very clear water in my 10G though not enough success here. One thing I did yesterday was took out the carbon filter came with the filter and customized filter with Fluval 70g sponge and bioamax. Was hoping to get the clear water by morning but no success. Am I need to just wait and see? Or anything else I can do to clear the water?

Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated. I will post few images of my new setup.

Thanks Hobbyist!! :)

Regards,

Ashok

Gourami are territorial. I would not get a few. Get 1.

Without injected CO2 and high light DHG and other carpeting plants are difficult in tall tanks.

Try it out, see how it goes. I dont love biowheel filters. I like to use bigger filters. Either AquaClear or a canister.

AC filter I'd get one rated for 70g. Double your tank size. Tank ratings on the box are flow rates for clean unused filters.

Flying Fox can be aggressive

In properly maintained planted tanks, Algae should not be a major issue. Nerites or Otos are a better choice. Make sure your Pleco has wood to chew and places to hide. Albino BN Pleco ?

Keep testing your water to keep your fish healthy.
You can add a sponge over your intake to see if that polishes your water better. But rinse it out if flow slows down too much.

Thanks Coursair for the response!!

I think you are correct on the Gouramis and Flying Fox. Regarding filter I think I need one more. So far AC is my choice.

I didn't knew anything about CO2 before, just started reading about it. I think I have big learning on it and need to spend much time on it. I will keep posting about it as I go with my setup. Thinking of doing DIY kit to start.

I exactly have the Albino Pleco :) from my old tank. And it chewing on its driftwood. Its bit shy, though I love my Pleco. I am surely getting some Nerites, got 2 Oto Cats today. I have not added them into my in tank yet.

Btw I liked your Shrimp tank, its awesome.

Thanks Coursair for the response!!

I think you are correct on the Gouramis and Flying Fox. Regarding filter I think I need one more. So far AC is my choice.

I didn't knew anything about CO2 before, just started reading about it. I think I have big learning on it and need to spend much time on it. I will keep posting about it as I go with my setup. Thinking of doing DIY kit to start.

I exactly have the Albino Pleco :) from my old tank. And it chewing on its driftwood. Its bit shy, though I love my Pleco. I am surely getting some Nerites, got 2 Oto Cats today. I have not added them into my in tank yet.

Btw I liked your Shrimp tank, its awesome.

Thanks [emoji1360]

My Shrimp tank currently needs TLC. Overrun with Dwarf Sag and no "scape" to speak of. When I look back it's funny to me how the scape kept evolving over the months and years. Very little was planned.

If the tank is brand new or the walls still feel clean, don't add Otos or Nerites. Otos need established tanks with plenty of biofilm. Nerites can quickly starve if tank is too clean.

Thanks [emoji1360]

My Shrimp tank currently needs TLC. Overrun with Dwarf Sag and no "scape" to speak of. When I look back it's funny to me how the scape kept evolving over the months and years. Very little was planned.

If the tank is brand new or the walls still feel clean, don't add Otos or Nerites. Otos need established tanks with plenty of biofilm. Nerites can quickly starve if tank is too clean.

Makes sense what you suggested about Otos and Nerites. Keeping them in my old tank so far. Do you have any suggestions for CO2 kit? My plants are still to arrive though just want to plan ahead. DIY CO2 Stuff is tricky.

Some progress today ... showed 1st sign of nitrate [emoji4]... ammonia is around .25 ... nitrite is 0

Update - tank is established now. Few picks, added gourami, few snails and a guppy today..

Back
Top Bottom