HELP / ADVISE (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people, this is your Excedrin headache # 32 again.:(
Here is the problem. I bought several new plants and put them in the tank. The water was just a little "flaky" because i stirred up some stuff in the gravel.
I vacuumed the heck out of it, and within two hours, the water was clear as glass. The fish were looking fine, swimming and schooling, and having a good time (if fish can have a good time).
Next day one of the albino catfish (cory?) swam upside down. A few hours later it hid away behind some plants. and died. I got it out immediately.
Next day my water turned milky, and fish were skimming the surface for air. I increase my airflow, and put in an extra filter unit. Cleared up somewhat, but stayed "misty".
That evening three more albinos (cories)? gave up the ghost. next morning the only dark cat did the same.
Did a complete water change, except for about 10 % to maintain some balance. Fresh water was treated with tetra something to be immediately compatible. Still had "misty water".
Added fine fluff spun material to the filters, to catch whatever was there. Next morning Hurray, clear water, but two sword tail mummies had hidden away and died. Pappa seemed to be fine, water got clear, got the fluff out, and fish looked good, till Pappa started to lay down on the bottom, and a little later died too.
Funny thing is the Neon tetras and glow neons, who are supposed to be the weaker fish are doing great. So are the tiger barbs and one poor old
Beta, my daughter dumped in the tank.
Plants are doing so-so, but seem to be rooting.
Water is still (again?) misty. With TWO filters working.
What am I doing wrong ??????????? I am 85 and supposed to be enjoying my fishies, not agonize over them.:confused:
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I plan to get catfish again ,to keep the bottom clean, but when ? and before that, what must I do ??
Haen.

Sounds like you stirred up some toxins that were beneath the substrate.

What is your normal gravel vac schedule? If you don't do it often enough, you can develop gasses that can negatively affect the fish if they are allowed to build up.

I certainly feel your pain and would share my Excedrin with you if it hadn't been recalled a few months back.

I used to gravel vac once or twice a wqeek, till I was told by the petstore, that i should leave it alone, "because in nature the bottom does not get vacuumed either". I surface vac still though, because I do not want leftover food to accumulate on the bottom. That vac is battery operated, and has a "bag"attached to it.
Come to think of it, the new plants came in some peat like material, and I was advised to bury it with the plant, instead of taking the plants out of the stuff. In the past I used to remove all "packing" but the rooting would take ages. So I thought it was good advise.
Perhaps it was not so hot afterall.
Haen

Like the rest of us, you've been given bogus information by the store employees...... no surprise there, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

You should do water changes and vacum maybe once every three weeks
That is what Api think you should do.

I wouldnt point the finger at toxins in the gravel just yet. Did you test the water to see if all your readings were acceptable?

Do you know what your readings are? *CK beat me to the question* ;)

I would do 50% water changes, the first one today. The timeframe for more water changes will depend on what your readings are.

Did you do anything different to alter the normal ph perhaps?
If we go the route of process of elimination then we can better help you solve your problem. And actually release of gasses from the substrate will alter your normal ph. Sometimes if its severe enough your ph may even crash.

hellup (again)

Wow !!! Thanks y'all :flowers: That's a lot of advise.
Unfortunately my measuring stuff grew legs and ran away (can'find it anywhere) So i must make another trip to the petstore to get another one.. I alread did the water change, and hate to do it again. I am afraid to upset the little balance i have, and kill off more fish.
At the moment (I am looking at the tank) the water SEEMS to have cleared somewhat more, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.
Will DEEP gravel vacuuming between plants help ? that of course will also remove water, but is less drastic to the fish.
B.T.W. why do they swim up to the Tetramin flakes, take it, and spit it out again ??? Tubifex the same way. And the same with some "red flakes"I got from the store. The cats used to LOVE the latter, but alas, i had to give them a 21 flush salute. I also have granules, but they swim up to it, and don't even take it; then it lays just on the bottom till I vacuum it out. They DO chew on my plants though.
Thanks so far !!!
Haen

I am of the belief that water changes do not stress the fish as much as bad water and that many water changes do not to a great degree upset the balance of your tank.

When I start up a tank, I do get cloudy water more often than not and do two changes per day, 50% each time and that usually clears up the problem in a week. I let my water quality determine my routine but right now, I do 50% changes every 3 or 4 days...Saturday and either tues or wednesday.

As for the food, if you feed dry food, quite often the fish will spit it out to get it more manageable to eat, both in size and in hydration. I rehydrate all dry food in garlic guard or vita chem before feeding.

Depending on where you live, you can order an API master kit on-line for less than $20 and have it overnighted to you.

help again

Thanks everybody.
Riddle ??? the water cleared up to "glassclear" Happy me. But . . . .
It turned cloudy overnight again. Vacuumed the gravel, loooked between and behind plants and rocks for dead fish; rinsed out both filters.
And . . .? Nothing happened. Still cloudy.. I think i will try the pillowfill method I read in another post, it's not chemically fire treated and the pillow is just lying around. For all safety i will rinse it in HOT water before putting it in the filters.
Oh Yea, before i forget, the aqua clear water drops did do zilch. Just made the water MORE cloudy, and did NOT clear up.

Oh well.
Happy Easter,
HN

Have you been rinsing your filter cartridges in tap water? That will kill the beneficial bacteria, so you should rinse it in a bucket of old tank water/dechlorinated tap water.

If your water is turning cloudy that quickly, it's probably bacterial blooms, which can happen if you rinse out the filter media too well. Try leaving the tank alone for the next few days and see what it does naturally.

And as before : Much obliged. THANK you !
The pillow-fill addition to my filters seem to do something, the water is clearing again, but as advised i will leave the thing alone for a few days and see what happens.
If that does not work i will move my fish to the old 10 gallon for a day, empty the 20 gal. Cook the gravel or get new gravel, rinse the plants with hydrogen peroxide solution (diluted), take the old under gravel filter out, (save the filters of the filter units) and refill the tank with Tetra instant safe water. Next let it run for a day, and put the fish back in their home.
If that does not work I will call the goodwill to pick up a tank with accessories, and donate the fishes and plants to the pet store.
OR . . I could use the tank to grow my orchids from cuttings or seeds.
OR . . . .I sit back in my easy chair, and hear my arteries crackle ( poor joke).
Anyway, thank you all; i hope it will work and will keep you posted.
Haen

Help (still)

Hello, and thanks for the responses.
The water is almost clear now, took a sample to the petshop, and they proclaimed i "fine".
Got four new albino baby/small corys, to keep the bottom clean; acclimatized them, and they started scurrying on the bottom as they should.
But . . . . this morning the were swimming wildly throughout the tank, (not up and down to catch a breath), but just going back and forth.
Next . . . .all the other fish are staying out of the way, and more or less staying in the bottom part of the tank.
I already have turned the bubbler back on, just in case there needs to be more oxygen in the water. Although TWO filter systems should do the trick.( a Petco 30 gallon, and a Eheim 150)
Weird ? or are they just getting settled in their new home ?
HN

Welcome to the whacky world of corys..... they are not true bottom dwellers. They scurry everywhere. It's normal.

Back
Top Bottom