Help! Algae!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long has it been running?

Off the top of my head there are two reasons it will start running slower. 1) as the yeast uses up the sugar it will produce CO2 slower and slower because it has less food to convert. 2) after running for a while the alcohol produced will become concentrated enough to kill the yeast. Some yeasts can survive higher % of alcohol then others.

One solution is to set up two bottles instead of one, and once a week change out the bottle you didn't change last week. By alternating the two bottles you can get a steadier supply of CO2.

If you want to know more about yeasts then I suggest finding a U-brew store and talking to someone there about your needs.

Last edited:
Did you dechlorinate the water used for your mix before adding the yeast (or used RO water)? It isn't a step everybody needs but with some water supplies it's the only option

CorallineAlgae said:
Did you dechlorinate the water used for your mix before adding the yeast (or used RO water)? It isn't a step everybody needs but with some water supplies it's the only option

Darn!! I forgot that step. Could that be why?

Deep Seven said:
How long has it been running?

Off the top of my head there are two reasons it will start running slower. 1) as the yeast uses up the sugar it will produce CO2 slower and slower because it has less food to convert. 2) after running for a while the alcohol produced will become concentrated enough to kill the yeast. Some yeasts can survive higher % of alcohol then others.

One solution is to set up two bottles instead of one, and once a week change out the bottle you didn't change last week. By alternating the two bottles you can get a steadier supply of CO2.

If you want to know more about yeasts then I suggest finding a U-brew store and talking to someone there about your needs.

About a week. Thats interesting though, i thought these recipes usually lasted 3 weeks?

Do you have an idea about why the co2 isnt going thru the chopstick anymore?

Gboy66 said:
Darn!! I forgot that step. Could that be why?

Some cities have more chlorine or chloramine in their water than others. I had no trouble with DIY co2 in one town.. moved to another and my yeast wouldn't last unless the chlorine was removed. Started using filtered water and it worked out way better. Sometimes it's the water and other times it's just old yeast.

When making wine the heaviest production of CO2 is in the first week. It starts to taper off after that and is pretty much done after 3-4 weeks.

Higher temperature will increase the speed this happens (as long as it's not too warm). Also when mixing the batch adding more yeast will increase the speed as well.

I have no idea about the chopstick, but I'd guess you either have a small leak in your line somewhere, or the CO2 is being disolved in the water before exiting the chopstick so it's no longer visible. Those are just guesses; I've never used a chopstick diffuser before.

Last edited:
I honestly just think that you should replace it. I dont really think scrubbing it with a brush will get all the debris out of the pours. Or if you dont want to replace it, maybe put it under some hot water and scrub? :)

Ok..well
Now the bubbles are so far apart it really isnt co2 anymore. So should i add more yeast then? Redo the formula?

I tried that, it gave me tons of co2 for a couple minutes...but this morning im back to 1drop/10 seconds....

Gboy66 said:
I tried that, it gave me tons of co2 for a couple minutes...but this morning im back to 1drop/10 seconds....

If you make a new batch trying using brown sugar. I heard that it would produce more co2 and longer

aqua_chem said:
The ethanol content of the mixture usually kills the yeast before they run out of sugar, I believe.

Man this vo2 stuff is complicated. Unfortunatly we dont have any sugar left, so i cant make a whole other mixture.

It is awesome though, the BGA is gone. I dont even think the co2 is a necessity anymore

Gboy66 said:
Man this vo2 stuff is complicated. Unfortunatly we dont have any sugar left, so i cant make a whole other mixture.

It is awesome though, the BGA is gone. I dont even think the co2 is a necessity anymore

The co2 isn't used to kill algae. It's used to help "control" algae by promoting healthy plant growth. It's the vigorous growth of healthy plants that causes the algae to decline. Co2 is plant food. Stop feeding the plants... and their growth stalls. Then the algae can start to grow well again.

So now my plants realy rely on the co2? Darn. I have to solve this bubble problem though! I think heated RO is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom