Help: Betta rubs against stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like overdose ... http://www.poison.org/poisonpost/winter2010/teatreeoil.htm

I do recall thinking that labeling on some tea tree oil products for fish seemed misleading, in implying it was thoroughly non toxic.

A lot of herbal products for people get blamed when people mistake "herbal" or "natural" for "safe even when you blatantly disregard the directions." I bet this holds true for fish too.

On people the oil can be highly irritating if it isn't properly diluted.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It could well be. I agree too on the word 'natural' as sometimes I wonder if people drop their guard a bit and it is also colourless in the water.

Hmmm.

At normal dosage I've lost fish and also fish have been fine. It's definitely been too much for the fish that have gone but no better or worse than some other meds (on limited choices in Australia).

Off the top of my head lost ones associated all up were:

Female Molly - otherwise fine. Developed shimmy after dosing with no recovery. I think there was the same with a female platy.

Young albino catfish - also fine before dosing but gone next morning. Overdose for size??

Neons with cottonmouth as I found out - had just shifted to small tank so all up guessing too much / overdose.

Gee, that's a depressing roll call.

Against that some success particularly where the fish looked off / low infection level. Enough to keep both mela and pima in the cupboard.

I've only tried it for a betta with fin rot.

It is strong strong stuff, and it's hard to know if they've standardized it at all. Many herbal things have wide variations in the amounts of each of the substances in the plant. And there's a lot we don't know about herbs and essential oils.

I've only tried it for a betta with fin rot.

It is strong strong stuff, and it's hard to know if they've standardized it at all. Many herbal things have wide variations in the amounts of each of the substances in the plant. And there's a lot we don't know about herbs and essential oils.

That's really interesting. I never thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom