Help Determining What is Wrong with an Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am at a loss as to what is wrong with my oranda. I have had him for 4 years with the same tank mates. (4 dojo loaches, a highfin pleco and a black moor). Several months ago it looked like a fungus was developing in some of the crevasses of his wen. I isolated him to medicate and returned him to the main tank once his wen looked normal. Over the last month areas of his wen have become almost transcluent looking. He has been doing a lot of what appears to be scratching his wen against the rocks. He has started to lay on the bottom a good deal of the time. Within the last day or so I have noticed blood lines in the top of his tail. He does become energized at feeding time. And is eating. His poop looks normal. I really have no idea what is wrong or what to do for him.

Here are the tank parameters:
75gal heavily planted (amazing considering goldies usually destroy plants)
3 in tank filters for a total of 160gal
1 small charcoal filter
extra aeration from bubbler rods across the back
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0-5.0ppm nitrate (color is closer to 0 than 5)
6.4 ph
71-72F
religious weekly 30%ish water changes

Any ideas on what could be wrong with him and how to fix it? Any help to save Tickety would be so much appreciated. He is part of the family and we would hate to lose him.

Thank you

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you possibly post a picture of your oranda and the situation with his wen? It will be very helpful in trying to diagnose his issue!

It sounds like you have a very nice tank and take great care of your fish! Your ph though is a bit concerning as its very acidic. Is normally this low or has it been dropping more recently? Is your tap ph in the same range as your tank? If your ph is normally acidic, then this should not factor into your orandas issues.

Some more information will help! :)

Thank you for the welcome and for your quick response. I am hoping you can help me to identify what is wrong and how to remedy it.

Regarding the ph of the water, the tap water is the same. He has lived in this condition the entire time we have had him.

I have attached a couple of photos I took this morning. I hope the areas of his wen that are clear/transculent show up well.

Again, thank you.

Tickety's Wen.jpg
Tickety 2.jpg

Attachments

• Tickety's Wen.jpg
    Tickety's Wen.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Tickety 2.jpg
    Tickety 2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
You mentioned he was rubbing it. His wen looks a bit like my oranda's did after it had been trimmed. I wonder if he snagged it. Can you feel it and see if it is loose?

You might want to increase the salt a bit in the tank to help him heal. That's what I had to do after thr trimming.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the welcome and for your quick response. I am hoping you can help me to identify what is wrong and how to remedy it.

Regarding the ph of the water, the tap water is the same. He has lived in this condition the entire time we have had him.

I have attached a couple of photos I took this morning. I hope the areas of his wen that are clear/transculent show up well.

Again, thank you.

Tickety's Wen.jpg
Tickety 2.jpg

Thank you very much!!

Is this new wen growth or older wen growth that is turning translucent? Are the translucent areas rupturing or ulcerating (pitting/holes)?

At first glance, it almost appears as if he is simply losing color (not unusual) but his appearance combined with rubbing, veining and bottom sitting is concerning. If you can, you may want to consider quarantining him and treating him with a course of antibiotic medicated food such as MediGold. Salinity can be increased slightly (.05-.1%) if you are comfortable with this but keep any salt out of your main tank. You may also want to consider adding some aragonite or crushed coral to your filter to help stabilize your ph in a slightly more comfortable range for your goldfish as long term exposure to acidic water may be influencing some of his present issues. Please ask any questions and keep us posted on how he is doing!

Thank you both.

The areas of the wen are not new growth. It is old growth that appears to have lost all its color.

Is it possible for the wen to weigh them down? At times he swims as if his head is just too heavy for his body. I have looked into wen trimming and found an aquatic vet in the area that does it, but I don't want to put him through that if there is nothing wrong.

I do have a 20gal tank that has been sitting cycled for quite awhile (waiting for angelfish parents to figure out how to let their fry get large enough to move. They can have a few more spawns to get it right on their own now. :p) I can move him in there and start your suggestions. Will also check to see if the wen is loose when I move him.

Will keep you posted on his progress. I have my fingers crossed these suggestions will help.

I had an oranda that had to go through a wen trimming because the wen had grown over his eyes. I went to Dr. Palmeiro in Allentown PA and he is very good. I was also worried about the stress and how it would affect him. But as he was so depressed because he couldn't see, I didn't have a choice.

It was so easy. I didn't watch the procedure but when I got him back about an hour later he was already back to his old active self. All I had to do was increase the salt level in the tank to help the healing. He looked very ragged for a couple of days, but quickly was back to his more attractive self. The hour plus trip to and from the vet didn't stress him out nor did the surgery.

Sadly, I lost him recently and I still miss him. Oranda trimming can be expensive (around $200) but it seemed cheaper and more humane than putting him down and trying to add another fish -- which may or may not get along.

Hi i have an oranda he doesnt have a wen that bit on his head is he a different type of Oranda?

Hi i have an oranda he doesnt have a wen that bit on his head is he a different type of Oranda?

Poor nutrition and water quality can cause wen not to grow. Also, goldfish are often mislabeled.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom