HELP Do I have enough room in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

styles215

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125g tank with a marine land canister filter for up to 100g C-360, a couple of bio wheel filters (400,350,280,200) and a uv filter filtering out about 264gph.. But I have yellow tang, yellow eye tang, scopus tang, 1-1/2" hippo tang, fox face, small dogface puffer, small valetini puffer, med size porcupinepuffer, fire fish, dwarf lion fish, coral beauty, snowflake eel, lawn mower Blenny, watchman goby, about 20 hermits, 2 starfish, couple emblem crabs.. Any help will be helpful!

I'm surprised your hermits are still alive with those puffers! You have way too many big fish for that tank, I would get rid of the blue tang and one of the large puffers for starters. It doesn't seem like you have the right filtration for those big eaters either. How are your parameters? How long have you had all these fish together? What kind of advice were you seeking?

I also think you are way overloaded on large big fish. You will have some issues as they get bigger and stress your bioload. The uv doesnt really make a dent in the bioload either.
I had three tangs in my 125g with a sump and some smaller fish and had to be diligent in my maintenance.
All those small fish will be dinner for the eel one day as well, they will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth.

Well I was thinking about transferring to a reef tank so I wanted to keep my blue tang but I was thinking about getting rid of my puffers, foxface and lion fish.. Would I have enough space to add a few smaller reef safe fish..?

You are still going to be overstocked on tangs unfortunately. Them and the other large fish like the foxface are gonna be a strain on your system.

I always was tempted to add a fourth tang to my 125g but just couldnt do it as I didnt wanna crash my system. Even now with the 180g I have I am somewhat hesitant to go with the four tangs. lol

Ok well I just got rid of my porcupine puffer, fox face and lion fish.. And in a week or so I'll give my other to puffer away.. Can I atleast keep my tangs until they start to get bigger right now they are all small.. What kind of system did you have on your 125g?

I dont see the harm in keeping the tangs now, you have lightened your bioload quite a bit. Just be sure to do your water changes and maybe upgrade your filtration at some point.

I was running a sump rated for a 225g tank along with a skimmer and refugium. I did weekly water changes of 40-60g at a time too. But it kept the fish and coral happy. Expensive, yes, but worth it to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom