What did I do wrong in my new 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to move my betta into a new 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter. He was good after four days so I decided to add two dwarf frogs and a small mini catfish. After two days the frogs had died but the betta and catfish were fine. After about a week I decided to try with ghost shrimp. I bought four and all but one died within the day. I kept an eye on the betta thinking maybe he was attacking them but he seems to pass by other inhabitants without caring. Today I did about a 60% water change because I noticed the water smelled really bad. The water change only helped the smell a little. I am confused because the betta and catfish seem very healthy and active while everything else dies within 48 hours. Also the tank itself is only a little over two weeks old so I don't know why it smells this bad. Ive always had much larger fish tanks in the past and never had any problems with smells. My questions are
1. Did I overload the tank?
2. How can I get rid of the smell?
3. I honestly never knew to check ph in any of my larger tanks and have been fine. Can anyone advise me on how to do this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would a bigger tank be easier in general?
Thank you

I decided to move my betta into a new 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter. He was good after four days so I decided to add two dwarf frogs and a small mini catfish. After two days the frogs had died but the betta and catfish were fine. After about a week I decided to try with ghost shrimp. I bought four and all but one died within the day. I kept an eye on the betta thinking maybe he was attacking them but he seems to pass by other inhabitants without caring. Today I did about a 60% water change because I noticed the water smelled really bad. The water change only helped the smell a little. I am confused because the betta and catfish seem very healthy and active while everything else dies within 48 hours. Also the tank itself is only a little over two weeks old so I don't know why it smells this bad. Ive always had much larger fish tanks in the past and never had any problems with smells. My questions are
1. Did I overload the tank?
2. How can I get rid of the smell?
3. I honestly never knew to check ph in any of my larger tanks and have been fine. Can anyone advise me on how to do this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would a bigger tank be easier in general?
Thank you
Do you know the Nitrogen Cycle? Did you cycle the tank?

Also that sounds overloaded to me. What kind of catfish? There are only really two for a 5 gallon. Also ADF are kinda messy and normally I would recommend species only.

Btw, I am a big fan of 5 gallon tanks so lets figure this out and help your aquatic friends!

Update

Thanks for replying. I haven't kept fish in about ten years so I forgot a lot of things. Embarrassingly I never knew about the nitrogen cycle. I just researched it and now know what mistakes I made. When I had fish I always referred to my "fish expert" father who always said run the tank a day or two and then add the fish. After I did the 60% water change yesterday I noticed the catfish and shrimp were more active. An hour ago I did about a 40% water change and stirred up the gravel so I could get most of the junk up at the bottom. It definitely knocked out most of the smell. As for the species of catfish I have no idea what he is. One of the PetSmart employees told me he would be good for a small tank. They also didn't charge me for him so his species is not on the receipt. He is very tiny and I always have to search for him in the tank. I am going to google and see if I can update you as to what he is. Do you think water changes twice a week would be good ?
Thanks

Is it a sucker mouth catfish? Or does it have barbs or whiskers? Can you post a pic of it?

Also, rule number one of the fish keeping hobby, never trust a pet store employee. There usally there to make money and really offer helpful advice. I once heard one offer a stock of 1 oscar to a 10g

I think that this guy is an Otocinclus. I'm having a hard time getting a pic as he is very dark and constantly on a black heater. If you blow up the pic he is on the very bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 86
Looks like an oto, which isn't to good. Not the worst case though, at least it's not a pleco. They all thing an oto eats is bio film though and with this being a new tank, that probably isn't a lot of that. It's cause all otos are wild caught

First off look up doing a fish-in cycling for your tank. I would get seachem stability or tetra safe start plus (don't miss the plus part) or Dr Tim's one and only to help.

Then once cycled you can look closer at your tank. Grabbing a live plant can also help.

Shrimp and snail and betta can often go together but not always in a 5. All about the betta personality. But you need some plants to give some biofilm for the Oto. Mine eats algae discs but some don't. I would rehome him. The Asian stone cat is good in a five but not the oto..especially a new 5.

+1 to plants and bacteria starter, have had good luck with Dr. Tim's and tetra.
Am very interested in nano tanks will follow!

Find some nice, bigger sized rocks that are safe for the fish, put them in some water you change from the tank and put them in a plastic tub in front of a sunny window. You should be able to grow enough algae fast enough to keep up with the otto while your tank develops, just swap one rock at a time into the tank so that while he eats off of one, the others have time to get covered again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for the suggestions. I went to a couple of local pet stores to find the Tetra Safe start but I can't seem to find any with the plus. I'm probably going to have to order it. The Otto looks a lot bigger than when I first got him which is surprising because based on what I've been reading he shouldn't be doing all that well in a new tank. I had been feeding algae wafers to him and the lone shrimp I had but I am definitely going to try and grow some algae for them. I am also going to try a piece of zucchini or cucumber weighted down. If I knew someone who had an established tank I would definitely try to put him in a better situation. I don't think going back to PetSmart would be all that great for him. Can I ask what you guys do about your heaters when you leave the house for the day? Since I live in Houston I was planning on turning off the heater since there would be no a/c on during the day and then keeping it on at night when there is a/c on. Thanks agin for the help.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I went to a couple of local pet stores to find the Tetra Safe start but I can't seem to find any with the plus. I'm probably going to have to order it. The Otto looks a lot bigger than when I first got him which is surprising because based on what I've been reading he shouldn't be doing all that well in a new tank. I had been feeding algae wafers to him and the lone shrimp I had but I am definitely going to try and grow some algae for them. I am also going to try a piece of zucchini or cucumber weighted down. If I knew someone who had an established tank I would definitely try to put him in a better situation. I don't think going back to PetSmart would be all that great for him. Can I ask what you guys do about your heaters when you leave the house for the day? Since I live in Houston I was planning on turning off the heater since there would be no a/c on during the day and then keeping it on at night when there is a/c on. Thanks agin for the help.

If you can't provide a stable temperature environment for the tank then you need a heater for the tank. Keeping the temperature stable is very important especially for the Betta, who needs a pretty constant 76-80F. If you have a heater with a thermostat, you shouldn't need to turn it off during the day, as it will only heat when neccesary.

Last edited:

I would only buy a heater with a thermostate on it. If your leaving for a few days and the tank will get too hot, I would direct a fan on it and let your heater help balance the temp.

Back
Top Bottom