Help! Enthanize or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie J

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi :)
I'm new to this forum so bear with me! :ermm:
About a month ago I had a female platy die on me with the the following symptoms:

curved spine

weight loss (but still ate enough food)

flake skin/scales

nipped fins (the danios are held responsible)

She died with in a week or two.:eek: I didn't think much of it at the time because the fish tank light had blown and thought that she was stressed. Anyway, a little time after another female got the same symptoms. Panicking :( I searched the internet and found it to be piscine tuberculosis. (fish TB) And that it was contagious to other fish species and HUMANS?!?!
So this sickly platy just sits behind the heater all day and is beginning to look a little worse.
I'm scared that my other fish will get it too.

Should I just let her die (like the other one?) or enthanize her? And if so how?

:thanks:

Hi :)
I'm new to this forum so bear with me! :ermm:
About a month ago I had a female platy die on me with the the following symptoms:

curved spine

weight loss (but still ate enough food)

flake skin/scales

nipped fins (the danios are held responsible)

She died with in a week or two.:eek: I didn't think much of it at the time because the fish tank light had blown and thought that she was stressed. Anyway, a little time after another female got the same symptoms. Panicking :( I searched the internet and found it to be piscine tuberculosis. (fish TB) And that it was contagious to other fish species and HUMANS?!?!
So this sickly platy just sits behind the heater all day and is beginning to look a little worse.
I'm scared that my other fish will get it too.

Should I just let her die (like the other one?) or enthanize her? And if so how?

:thanks:

Guessing this will depend on pov's.

If I think there is no hope then I would. The tank is more important. I think there is a sticky on ways.

I do like to try first, either in tank or QT. Lots of experience out there to check photo's, etc. I think that even though treatment is expensive, it is experience gained (although unwanted) and sometimes there is a win.

First of all buy yourself some long gloves for anytime you will be working with the aquarium. I was reading about the disease a few days ago and supposedly it will be carried in the tank now until you sterilize the whole tank. What i read suggests treating all the livestock with It can take up to 7 weeks to show symptoms if you pick up the disease which you can if water gets into even a small cut on your skin.

I just read this page but read one that sounded more extreme in the treament of this problem. Lists symptoms for humans who pick up the disease too.
Fish Tuberculosis

do a google search of the disease and find out about what you really need to do. There are quite a few articles about it, some recommend very extreme measures. Maybe even consult a vet about it. I read two articles, one today and one a few days ago when researching for another issue someone had and both suggested euthanizing the fish if they show severe symptoms rather than allowing them to suffer through treatments that often don't work if the symptoms are already bad. You should isolate the fish too, even if it is just in a bucket. I think the best news here would be that you have misdiagnosed.

And the most important thing i think is to buy some gloves and be careful with thewater. Your fish are important but they need you functioning too so safety first.

Hi everyone!
I have just found that the little platy has past on. :( She was alive this morning, and must have died between now and 6:00 am. I'm glad I found her now so the other platys didn't have a chance to 'eat' her. But still, I'm going to keep an eye on the other platys for now.
Thanks everyone for the info and advice! :)

P.S.
I'm going to do a 25% water change.

Back
Top Bottom