Help - Filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Normally we dont allow my daughter into our bedroom, but I was trying to get ready for work this morning and dint bother with the gate. Of course the first thing she did was go over and fudge around with the light switch that all my plugs foy my fish tank are hooked into.

Out goes the filter, the heater, and the light. No big deal, shes dont it before... So I turn it back on. But now the filter wont turn on. I tried unplugging it and letting it sit for a few minutes and plugging it back in... No luck. It doesnt even make any noise.

Whats the deal?

It is an Aqua Clear 70, if that helps...

Nevermind!!

I tried jiggling around some parts and that didnt work... So - and this wasnt one of my best moments, but its been a bad morning already (Ive gotta be to work in an hour, my car is frozen shut and I dont have any deicer on me, my kid poo'd through everything first thing this morning, filter stopped working, stepped in a hairball, etc) so I smacked my knuckles against the side of the filter...

And it immediately sputtered to life and has been running for the last five minutes.

Who says violence is never the answer?

Try taking it off the tank and removing the parts, put them back, fill the filter back up with tank water and then try turning it back on...sometimes something just gets knocked loose, happened to me before. Hope that works...maybe someone else has some ideas as well?

Thanks for the quick replys, guys... I figured it out.

It may seem obvious, but try changing the fuse in the plug. Worth a shot!

Never mind, I see you have fixed it :) a good smack everytime!

It may have lost its prime due to air getting in line when it stopped. Ur beating moved air and restarted prime...

Talvari said:
..Never mind.

I tried jiggling around some parts and that didnt work... So - and this wasnt one of my best moments, but its been a bad morning already (Ive gotta be to work in an hour, my car is frozen shut and I dont have any deicer on me, my kid poo'd through everything first thing this morning, filter stopped working, stepped in a hairball, etc) so I smacked my knuckles against the side of the filter...

And it immediately sputtered to life and has been running for the last five minutes.

Who says violence is never the answer?

That isn't your first troubleshooting move? A friend of mine swore by it for fixing anything electronic. When it stops working, hit it. I've had my filters stop like that before, and I usually just have to jiggle the intake tube a little. Although I did have two different filters die on me within a week earlier this year. They are probably fixable so I hung onto them, but I saw it as an excuse to upgrade both,

Well my first move was unplugging it, letting it sit, and replugging it in hoping that maybe it just didnt click over since I flicked the light switch back on so quick - thats all I had to do last time.

Second move was pulling the intake out, draining it, and then putting it back in place.

Third move was smacking it. Maybe that will be my first move from now on...

Hey if possible get tank off that switch controlled plug. My roommates used to flick the switch on mine every now and then and it caused a filter that didn't reprime to burn out.

I dont have any other options... Otherwise it wouldnt have been on there in the first place. :)

I solved the issue tho... I just put duct tape over the switch in such a way that you cant flip the switch without removing about an inch of tape too...

Back
Top Bottom