Help Fish In Cycle Moving slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobzond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 29 gallon on August 19 with 4 platies. And I am not seeing much progress. The first two weeks I did water changes 2 a week for whatever reason. However I have not done a change in two weeks now.

I feed twice daily and am running an eheim pump.

Tonight my tests are
.25 or less ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates
7.4 ph
Temp 79

I lost 1 platy to ick but the tank looks to have recovered. I did not use any chemicals only turned the heat up to 88 degrees.

I had a bacteria bloom or just very cloudy water for 4 days on week 3 however the tank is crystal clear now

I am going on week 5 and not sure what to do. Should I buy 2 more fish or keep waiting.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I set up my 29 gallon on August 19 with 4 platies. And I am not seeing much progress. The first two weeks I did water changes 2 a week for whatever reason. However I have not done a change in two weeks now.

I feed twice daily and am running an eheim pump.

Tonight my tests are
.25 or less ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates
7.4 ph
Temp 79

I lost 1 platy to ick but the tank looks to have recovered. I did not use any chemicals only turned the heat up to 88 degrees.

I had a bacteria bloom or just very cloudy water for 4 days on week 3 however the tank is crystal clear now

I am going on week 5 and not sure what to do. Should I buy 2 more fish or keep waiting.

Hello bob...

The "fish in" cycling requires daily water testing for ammonia and nitrites. If a test shows even a trace of either, then you remove and replace at least 25 percent of the water in the tank, with pure, treated tap water. You test daily and remove water when needed until several tests show "zero" or no trace of ammonia or nitrites. Only then, can you add a few small, hardy fish. Then, you resume testing and water changes when needed.

You follow these steps until the tank is fully stocked.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello bob...

The "fish in" cycling requires daily water testing for ammonia and nitrites. If a test shows even a trace of either, then you remove and replace at least 25 percent of the water in the tank, with pure, treated tap water. You test daily and remove water when needed until several tests show "zero" or no trace of ammonia or nitrites. Only then, can you add a few small, hardy fish. Then, you resume testing and water changes when needed.

You follow these steps until the tank is fully stocked.

B

I understand this and I text twice a day and yet I not making any progress. He ammonia has not gone over .25 if that or less for over two weeks without a water change

I appreciate your response

4 platys in a 29 should be enough to get the cycle going. Are you leaving the filters alone or changing out media? Did you use dechlorinator when you set up the tank and with water changes? If so what are you using? Also what test kit are you using --- strips are known to be inaccurate.

I understand this and I text twice a day and yet I not making any progress. He ammonia has not gone over .25 if that or less for over two weeks without a water change

I appreciate your response

I had 2 tanks fish IN cycling at the same time, the 46g took approx. 6 wks & the 10g took 8 wks. For the 46g I had added Stability (bacteria booster) per instructions, I had 5 fish & 2 snails. The 10g had 1 Betta & 1 snail, I started seeing nitrItes about week 6 & they lasted for 2 wks, my ammonia never seemed to get more than .25 in either tank except for a couple of times. Each tank is different, just keep testing & be patient. I accepted my tanks as cycled when I had a full week of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & <40 nitrAtes.

Well, I apperciate all the quick replys, Thank you. I am using an API master test and have not touched my eheim 2213 since I started it. I am also using prime when doing the water changes but have not changed water in 3 weeks now.

As of this morning everything is the same .25 probably less ammonia, 0 nitrates and nitrites.

Please help!! do you think I should just keep waiting, I figured the ammonia should have jumped in 3 weeks and the fish look fine.

Well, I apperciate all the quick replys, Thank you. I am using an API master test and have not touched my eheim 2213 since I started it. I am also using prime when doing the water changes but have not changed water in 3 weeks now.

As of this morning everything is the same .25 probably less ammonia, 0 nitrates and nitrites.

Please help!! do you think I should just keep waiting, I figured the ammonia should have jumped in 3 weeks and the fish look fine.

I wouldn't worry too much since your water parameters are safe & consistent. I would however still do at least weekly or every 2 week water changes just because fresh water is a good thing. Is your tank heavily planted? That can effect your nitrAtes. Also, not to offend, are you using the test kit correctly? The nitrAte especially, shake & bang both the bottles (I hit it against the palm of my hand for at least a minute), shake that test tube good.

Shellica, you say not to worry too much.. do you think I should start adding a fish or two every 2 or 3 weeks and keep doing water changes? Or keep waiting.

My tank has zero plants, I belive I am using the test kit correctly and yes I am beating and shaking the heck out of the nitrate bottles. I honestly have done a ton of research and dont think I have done anything wrong yet.

Shellica, you say not to worry too much.. do you think I should start adding a fish or two every 2 or 3 weeks and keep doing water changes? Or keep waiting.

My tank has zero plants, I belive I am using the test kit correctly and yes I am beating and shaking the heck out of the nitrate bottles. I honestly have done a ton of research and dont think I have done anything wrong yet.

I know my 10g took 6 wks before nitrItes showed up but I had ammo & nitrAtes almost from day one, tank is medium planted. My nitrItes lasted for 2 wks & then were just gone. My 46g showed nitrItes once at 5-6 wks, nitrAtes stay 20-40 & is med-heavy planted. Each tank is different. As for adding fish, if you add too many at once it can overload your BB which can cause problems. Did you mention the tank size? You want to make sure you are not overstocking your tank. If your tank is the appropriate size, add a school of fish or 1/2 a school, wait 2 weeks then add more, tank size permitting. I would proceed with caution but then I tend to be over cautious with my tanks.:brows:

I will give it a couple more days and make sure all is well then add a 1 or 2 fish. I guess I am just getting impatent, I will keep you all posted and let you know what happens or if I have any issues.

Thank you !!!!

I added 7 neons last night and did water tests. Looks like ammonia is actually under .25 ammonia and still 0 nitrates/nitrites.

I drip aclimated for an hour and the fish see fine so far. I will update if anything new occurs.

If anyone has any additional guidance please help!

Thank You

Well the saga continues... I came home for lunch and tested my water and l had traces of nitrites. Needless to say I was excited to finally see progress after 5 weeks. However tonight 5 hours later my nitrites are zero again. Looks like everything is zero.

Could the small stock now 2 plaited and 7 neon tetras be too small for a 28 gallon with an eheim canister?

Here is a pic of what I am working with this is in my sons room.

image-4247129014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom