HELP: "Flakes" at the Bottom of Mixing Jug - Dange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing weekly water changes in my tank since beginning of January. I have been using RO/DI water and mixing my salt in a NEW 7 Gallon Water Jug (designed for water storage). The last 3 times I have done a water change...as I am pouring out the last 1/4 of the Jug...I am having some rather large "Flakes" coming out and going into the tank.

These flakes are scaring me...and I am afraid they may be some kind of salt flake...that could damage my corals or inverts if the land on them. They do seem to dissolve after a while when I get some in tank.

Does this happen to anyone else?? What are these flakes?? Could they be dangerous?

These are the steps I used to mix my water:

1. RO/DI Water (20 gallon in a trash can covered, with a TDS of 0ppm)
2. Instant Ocean Salt (I used 3 & 3/4 Cups in 7 Gallons to get a SG of 1.024
3. Mix salt and water in 7 gallon jug for 24-48hrs
4. Have heater in jug to maintain water at 78F
5. Use Airstone in jug to assist in mixing and water flow.

The Jug is colored plastic, and I can't fit powerhead through the top of the jug (hence the use of the airstone). I have rinsed the jug on with RO/DI water throughly and even let it sit with RO/DI for a week before rinsing it out. The flakes returned!

Thanks for any help in determining the next steps I should take! I am thinking about getting an open top Rubber Maid BRUTE container. Will be more difficult to carry up the stairs though!

Thanks!

WC

How about a 5 gal bucket? It's what I use. I also use IO and I see some flakes once in a while, I guess I don't think about it since I add my water to the sump.

funny you say this, i have seen a thin buildup at the bottom of my 5gal saltwater storage jug. Yesterday, when changing the water in my nano, a few "flakes" came out. i could tell it was from the buildup (very thin) at the bottom of the container. No idea what it is. I pour the water into a container first to add to the tank, so i was able to get the flakes out.

Can't imagine they can be too harmful as only saltwater has been in the jug.

????

Jim

It's fine...
Try using a powerhead instead of a airstone for mixing way more efective. And you can use a hose to pump the water from the container into the tank without any flakes even :)

Back
Top Bottom