Help! Floating Ryukin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konekochan528

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had him since December 2014, He has all of a sudden, started floating at the top of the tank and he will sink as he rapidly opens and closes his mouth. Looks like he's gasping. He is in a 30-40 gallon tank with a quiet filter, air stone. I only feed him every other day, he gets sinking pellets to make sure he doesn't get too much air! I have no idea what this could be. I have tried crushed peas he doesn't eat em.

Has he jumped at all? Could be a swim bladder problem if not poor oxygenation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

How s your fish doing? I have 3 Ryukins & went thru this with 2 of them. My understanding is that they don t have stomachs so small frequent feedings are best. I quit feeding flakes & now feed Spirulina in the am, peas & shredded zucchini at noon, then sinking pellets & an algae wafer at night. They improved dramatically with this.
What are your water perimeters & how often do you do water changes? Hope your fish gets better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh ....how are you preparing the peas?

Thats just it, I've tested the water and its in good shape! I have defrosted a pea squish it a little bit to get the peal off. I also do not feel him that much, I have sinking pellets and feed him every other day.

I read to put them in boiling water for maybe 30 - 40 secs then cool quickly. This is called blanching. You still need to remove the shell, but it softens them a bit & prob makes them smell good . I also read that most cases of suspected swim bladder are actually constipation. Hope this helps.

He isn't eating the pea. I read that giving him oil with an eye dropper might help. Also my food is called Regular Goldfish new life spectrum. I've read that it is good food but I'm wondering if it is too big for him?

But maybe he s not eating the pea cuz it s raw? I d try feeding the slightly cooked peas.

The pea is cooked. All I do is defrost it with warm water until its squishable. He is now floating on his side. I fear its the end unless I find a sure cure.

You could try a epsom salt bath of 1 tablespoon to a gallon for up to say 20 minutes or too stressed. That would be the next step.

How s your fish? If he truly has swim bladder, there is a procedure that can be done where you use a syringe & needle to remove the excess air, but finding a veterinarian or ? that knows how to do it might be challenging .

How s your fish? If he truly has swim bladder, there is a procedure that can be done where you use a syringe & needle to remove the excess air, but finding a veterinarian or ? that knows how to do it might be challenging .

And expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom