Help for DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a pump that is rated for about 210GPH with a max head of 5.5 feet (it's a Jebao PP-399), the top of my 55 will be about 4 feet above my sump so do u think that would be enough flow???

Also i am currently planning on using my old 10 gal for the sump is that big enough or should i go bigger??

And if i put my HOB filter on my sump would that help at all or be useless???

The HOB would do something, but it is a little bit pointless. You would be filtering your filter.

Is that 210 at 5.5feet or 210 with a shutoff of 5.5 feet? If the pump moves 210gph at 1foot then it isn't going to do much for you. I would suggest a Mag5 or Mag7. What is the GPH of you overflow? What kind of tank is this, reef, FOWLR, FW?

If this is your pump then it only does 100 GPH with a 4 ft head which isn't enough flow to bother with IMO.

As Ziggy said a Mag 5 or 7 pump would be a better option depending on what your overflow can handle. You want to match your GPH with a 4-5 ft head as closely as possible to your overflows rated GPH.

A sump should only be filled 2/3rds full to allow for back flow from the tank when the pump goes off (due to maintenance or power failure) so a 10 gal tank will only hold around 6-7 gal which is better then nothing but a larger sump would help.

Of course your kind of limited if you have a standard 55 gal tank stand which is only 11"-12.5" wide internally so depending on your tank stand's internal measurements you may be able to get a 20 gallon High or long tank in it.

Yea i am kinda limited to space at about 27" long 18" high and 15" deep, i could always build a custom sump if i can't find a tank to fit, and i guess i will be pickin up a larger pump.

O and i don't have an overflow as of right now but was planning on building one some what like the one on this page http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98057&page=2&highlight=DIY+sump it's about 2/3 of the way down the page. For my sump i was thinkin sumthing like this http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98057&highlight=DIY+sump seems good to me any opinions??

Let me know what you think!

Can't see the threads unless logged on. We have a DIY sump post though which is good.

Never tried a DIY overflow but can't imagine it being too difficult.

Your stand has plenty of room for a 20 gal tank.

Running a HOB on the sump could be used for carbon or just polishing the water. The sump it self is not doing any filtering. While not needed, it could be useful. The sump is a place to put things in your system that you don't want to see up top. Adding water volume is always a good thing as well.

The Mag Drive 5 is rated at 310 GPH at 4' and 250 at 5'. The Mag 7 is rated at about 450 GPH at 4' and a little less at 5'. As mentioned above a 10 gallon would suffice but it is better to go larger.

Back
Top Bottom