help growing plants in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flcountryskater

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55gallon tank with some cichlids and a clown knife. I have 3 Anubis plants on drift wood and a amazon sword. I need some advice on how to get them to grow better. I have been using Aqueon Plant food and my substrate is gravel. I have a coral life light using the 10k daylight bulbs. I don't see any new growth in the plants and some leaves are getting brown spots on them. Any advice to help them grow. I have attached some pics.

Thanks

83236-albums13039-picture60877.jpg

83236-albums13039-picture60878.jpg

83236-albums13039-picture60879.jpg

83236-albums13039-picture60880.jpg

The sword plant need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders and anubia's are slow growers so you might be expecting more growth than is normal. One thing tho I would change out that actinic bulb for something lower like a 6000, 6500, or 6700K bulb. This will help balance the 10K bulb out by adding more red spectrum.

Thanks I don't even use that bulb as it doesn't look good at all. Is there any thing else I should do to help the Anubis to grow some more or better. Also would I be able to put another amazon sword in if I got the root tabs? Also do the tabs go under the plant or next to them in the gravel.

Yes you can do another Sword but since you have the light you should get a proper bulb which will give you more options for plants. I just put root tabs close to the Swords since they have extensive root systems and trying to put them under it would be really hard.

What is a really good combination is use your 10K bulb and get a "pink" rosette bulb to balance out the light by adding a heavy red spectrum to your tank. It will also help improve the color on plants and fish.

Back
Top Bottom