Help help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtranaut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Y’all I have a 20 g tank with 3 neon tetras, 2 neon danios 1 dwarf albino plecco and we just added a beta.
Typing it out it sounds like a lot of fish in the tank but they all work so well together and stay at different levels of the tank.
I’ve gone from the stuff that come in the box on the hanging filters to 100% polyester, and a media filter to hold the good bacteria in. Everything was fine level wise but it’s gotten off and cannot shake the ammonia in the tank as we’ve done 60% water changes 2 days in a row. ? I’m trying not to put ammonia lock in and have used the little bag that has ammonia catcher stuff in it that you can bleach to reuse....

Any idea if it’s just be the filter that’s the issue???
I seriously keep their tank so clean of debris and dead plants
Someone help ??

It’s been a few months I’ve been using the polyester sponge method for the tank. And water change was earlier this week.

Also yes, did a filter cleaning whenever I do water changes and quite frequently inbetween

OK cool, part of your problem is cleaning the filter. The mechanical media can be changed, but all the rest needs to be left. All that be brown slimy gunk in there is your beneficial bacteria. Every time you remove it you're starting your cycle over and prob getting ammonia spikes

If your using a sponge it rarely needs to be cleaned. If your using polyester fiber fill it can be changed monthly. I'm not sure what you're using, I'm not familiar with the term polyester sponge

Hmmm. Thank you. So I don’t clean the sponge rarely at all. Polyester definitely often when I see the build up of poop or slimey looking stuff. So as I am understanding you’re saying the slime is the good stuff?? I was under the impression with the sponge that that’ll house the good bacteria. And the sponge is not polyester it’s actually one from the dollar tree like a scrubby one. They come in multi colors in a four pack.

Attachments

• 3E7FBED9-F733-4E51-89BC-DD3CDDACF5D8.jpg
    3E7FBED9-F733-4E51-89BC-DD3CDDACF5D8.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 19
Oh yeah, pot scrubbers! Those are great. Don't clean them. Like once every few years. Those are great bacteria houses, I'm currently switching alot over to those DG ones, 6 for a buck. Slimy gunk is the good stuff

OK cool, part of your problem is cleaning the filter. The mechanical media can be changed, but all the rest needs to be left. All that be brown slimy gunk in there is your beneficial bacteria. Every time you remove it you're starting your cycle over and prob getting ammonia spikes
Yepper good advice!

Oh yeah, pot scrubbers! Those are great. Don't clean them. Like once every few years. Those are great bacteria houses, I'm currently switching alot over to those DG ones, 6 for a buck. Slimy gunk is the good stuff

Charlie, thank you so so much. You’ve truly been a blessing. Last thing I want is these fishes to die and I seem to be helping others with what I know so I appreciate your time in reading and responding to this! Good luck with your tanks as well :) :)

Back
Top Bottom