HELP I have a guppy mom that is sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDaqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very large black Moscow guppy she's stuffed with a large batch of fry and her right fin isn't working and has little bits off white around it I have lost a yellow snakeskin guppy a silver Molly and an emerald croy in that same tank. I did not notice any of the stuff that's on the black Moscow on them. Any idea how to fix it I need this mom and her baby's for my breeding program?

Any chance of a clear pic ? it's very hard to say with that description what it could be.

Any idea how far along she is ? If she's near term you may be able to save the fry even if Mom does not make it.

Edit.. any idea why the other fish died, and when did they die ?

I think it was fin rot I put her in some high salt water and then rubed all the white off the fin is almost gone she seams ok right now if it come back I'll get a pic in the morning she has been fat and slightly squared off for a week she is abnormally large double the size of the rest of my guppies. The Molly and Cory died yesterday and the guppy the day before I'm doing 40% water changes. I think the Molly may have been due to another male that is aggressive but the Molly's and Cory's are on the other side of a tank divider. Another male Molly has a red spot on his head and is swimming oddly probably on his way out. Nothing is wrong with any female Molly's only makes are getting hurt.

Hope she recovers. If it should turn out she takes a turn for the worse, if she's very close to birthing you may be able to save the fry, even if it means using gently squeezing her to expel them from her body, or even sterile sharp scissors to cut them out, being very careful of course not to damage the fry, as they are packed in there tighter than sardines in a can.

I'd suggest those only a last resort if Mom does not do well.

I'd suggest it might help to have some Indian Almond leaf in her tank, it has natural antibiotic properties than may be helpful but a very severe fin rot often will require antibiotics to cure it. Don't waste money on OTC stuff that has tea tree oil, it won't help with advanced fin rot, though it can help prevent it in a clean tank.

Keeping water conditions as pristine as possible help also, so those changes are good. Fin rot is often due in part to some problem with water conditions. Have you tested the water recently and if so, what were the results ?

Best of luck, hope you get healthy fry at the least.

She died in the middle if the night when I found he I got 47 fully developed fry out of her but they where dead. Sad day for the start of my black Moscow breeding.

Back
Top Bottom