Help I might have broken my tank's cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samak85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone

I recently did a lot of water changes in my 30g tank due to fungal disease and I treated it with 2 doses of potassium permanganate with 24 hours interval. So when I returned home today I found the tank really foggy as if it has a bacterial bloom. I don't know if it's because of the water changes or the treatment. In both cases I need your opinion and your help please.
I know that I've been so demanding lately, I'm so sorry.

PS: i didn't do any water change after the treatment, yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The purple turns to brown/yellow do to organic compounds in water.
This should not be a problem.
Adding H2O2 to the tank will leave you with the clearest water you have seen!
One of the links(BIDKA) I think has H2O2 dosing I believe.
Hydrogen peroxide - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
^This dosing is also safe^
Common hydrogen peroxide!!
Only a test of nutrients can determine if bacteria is dead.
I really don't think so myself.
Did the water turn purple and how long did it take to change to brown/yellow?

Yeah i read that somewhere but didn't think it can happen after a while. Thank you for pointing to this. As always you are the best. I will try it tomorrow even though the fog is white. If it doesn't work then i have nothing to do but recycling the tank.
Thank you so much.

It was solved by Hydrogen peroxide. Thank you very much for your help. Should I do a water change now?

It was solved by Hydrogen peroxide. Thank you very much for your help. Should I do a water change now?

What are the parameters? Just because the water is no longer cloudy it doesnt mean that you have solved the problem, just made your water clear temporarily.

What are the parameters? Just because the water is no longer cloudy it doesnt mean that you have solved the problem, just made your water clear temporarily.

Sadly I don't have a testing kit

You are all good my friend!
Do your usaull water change and welcome to the new world of old school keeping!
PP and HP make clearer water I dare say then 9 out 10 members here have EVER seen!.
You by using the PP have not only removed dissolved organic compounds (DOC) that not even 1 out of 10 here have a test kit for!
But also have used a great treatment for the columnaris issue(2 with 1 stone!!!)
I do not know how to measure dissolved organic this can become very complicated without clear answers still!
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom