HELP ich won't go!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I noticed some white spots on my fish so u was recommended to use esha exit and esha 2000 last nite was the last day of the 3 day treatment and today I've noticed a new white spot on my plattys tail! And the spots that were on my royal pleco are not all gone! Is this normal? Some one please help!

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

I'm not familiar with the Esha line of medications.

Did you do the usual things like raising the temperature while treating it?

No I haven't raised the temperature the esha treatment says you don't need to raise it. Should I raise my temperature gradually today and re start my treatment to see if it works better? Or would doing the same treatment dosage harm my fish?

I'm not comfortable saying really, as I have zero experience with Esha. I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread. I don't want to tell you to do something that might hurt your fish.

The temperature thing is to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, and make it hatch from its cyst (the white thing) more quickly. That's when the medicine usually kills it, and its free-swimming spawn. While in the cyst it is protected from the medication as it feeds and grows. That's how the old salt cure worked, anyways, and I seem to remember doing the same for medications ages ago when I had to deal with Ich.

Ok thanks, what temperature would I need to set to speed up the life cycle of ich

I used to raise it into the low to mid 80's, depending on the fish and the usual temperature of the tank. Keep in mind that there won't be as much oxygen in the water when its that warm, so it's a good idea to aerate it more if you don't already have an airstone or something like it in there. I raised the temperature over the course of a full day, but was always watching the fish to make sure they were still okay as it went up.

Back
Top Bottom