Help ID cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmachica

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone I'm new and I joined this hoping to get help identifying what type of cichlids I have. I'm already an owner of a freshwater tank but recently I "adopted" or rescued rather, a 20g that has 3 cichlids- or so I've been told. I've never owned cichlids before and I feel the more I read about them the most important thing starts with knowing what you have and I need help to make sure I take care of them correctly. There is one colorful one and the other two are almost identical mostly grey and black. Don't judge me by the tank decor- I need to know what I even own since the previous owner did not know.. Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• image-4090366204.jpg
    image-4090366204.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2998394464.jpg
    image-2998394464.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1317338461.jpg
    image-1317338461.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 88
Omg thank you for helping me! I wasn't sure what kind of advice to expect so you're wonderful - since I'm new to cichlids I'm overwhelmed by how many different types there. I also think the other two are females but the only types I can find that are even kind of similar seem to be completely different colors, does that matter? I know females don't have the color like the males but they don't seem to match many profiles .. Are they even cichlids?

Omg thank you for helping me! I wasn't sure what kind of advice to expect so you're wonderful - since I'm new to cichlids I'm overwhelmed by how many different types there. I also think the other two are females but the only types I can find that are even kind of similar seem to be completely different colors, does that matter? I know females don't have the color like the males but they don't seem to match many profiles .. Are they even cichlids?

Yes the colors do matter when trying to ID a fish if that's what your asking. They are cichlids from lake Malawi in africa. Your pictures look just like mine sorry I don't have one of my females to show you. It as nice that you rescued them because they are or was on the cares program. Sorry haven't looked at their site on months.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130419_040113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130419_040113.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 66
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if u meant if all of them were or just the one but yeah I looked it up and the females are exactly what I have. It gives me piece of mind knowing what they are now and feel much better that they are the same kind too, now I can give them a more appropriate setup and do correct research and enjoy this experience

Back
Top Bottom