Help ID this crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my friend went to Florida for two weeks and he came back tonight. Knowing i love fish and i have a saltwater crab he brought me back some animals from the ocean. I have never seen this type of crab and would like to know what kind it is also he brought back a ton of muscles so would it be ok to put them in my saltwater tank after quarantining them? Or should i just set them up in a totally different tank ? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are some pics ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456192166.657379.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456192177.621174.jpg

I want to say a calico crab...but it just doesn't look right.

Yeah it looks close but the spots are a bit different... I have been looking all over the internet i just can't find it if measurements help its about 0.75 inch wide and it likes to grab out to things

closest I could find was a strawberry crab couldn't find any thing on how big they get
415_strawberrycrab1.jpg

Porcellana sayana

Porcellana sayana

Thank you so much this looks like its it! One question though do you think its safe to keep this crab or no?

Primarily filter feeders, they do scavenge, they are crabs after all. But never heard of one doing damage to other inverts or fish. I would be more worried if it carried anything with it being wild, so would quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom