Help Identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found this in my tank and have no idea what it is.. please help identify thanks
img_1163981_0_8d3c316dbb76fe33f6d800bcfbedba53.jpg

Looks like one of the small species of abalone that can come in on coral.

thanks for the replies, it doesnt really look like either of the species stated.. it looks like a small fat lobster..

That's funny... after staring at the picture until my eyes were bugging out, I was swearing I was seeing a lobster-like tail at the bottom and some beady eyes on the top. Maybe even some very small claws? But then thought... nah... my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

First thought was Mantis Shrimp, but I wouldn't expect one to be out in the open like that. Probably just some species of lobster - there are a bunch of them.

That's funny... after staring at the picture until my eyes were bugging out, I was swearing I was seeing a lobster-like tail at the bottom and some beady eyes on the top. Maybe even some very small claws? But then thought... nah... my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

First thought was Mantis Shrimp, but I wouldn't expect one to be out in the open like that. Probably just some species of lobster - there are a bunch of them.

lol yeah.. I just recently removed a mantis shrimp also.. It has some small claws with small blue dots on them..

That would be my guess. Some kind of lobster. Pretty cool looking but probably not something you want in the tank.

That's a bumblebee shrimp. It is a reef safe carnivore. It usually eats the tube feet from sea stars but should eat prepared foods no problem. Unless you have one of the few reef safe sea stars or the Asterina spp. you shouldn't see any problems.

that's a bumblebee shrimp. It is a reef safe carnivore. It usually eats the tube feet from sea stars but should eat prepared foods no problem. Unless you have one of the few reef safe sea stars or the asterina spp. You shouldn't see any problems.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom