HELP, Just realized the 75g I bought doesn't have a centerbrace!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought this tank used a week ago, I have since cleaned it and I currently have it filled full in the laundry room to test for any leaks. The tank appears to look like brand new. silicon is near mint condition.

the glass is most definitely bowing though.

thoughts?!?!

measures 18.25inch at the corners and 19 inch in the dead center when full. I am worried about the amount of bowing but I have to assume this is meant to be or why wouldn't they have put a center brace on.

i would really like some reassurance on what should or should not be done here.

thanks!

yes it has a top rim not one solid thing it looks like its in sections that snap / lock together.

i am new to this so i dunno.

i will try and post a pic

Here is what I am trying to describe

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394574234749.jpg
    1394574234749.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 1394574248505.jpg
    1394574248505.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 1394574259423.jpg
    1394574259423.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 114
That looks like a cheaply made tank if the top rim isn't one solid piece on top of missing the brace... I wouldn't trust it without the center brace, especially if you're already noticing some bowing. Water + substrate pushing against the glass will only worsen the problem.

it looks like the top rim was intentionally designed this way to allow for some flex and not crack. This is just my opinion on why they wouldn't just made one piece.

the tank is pretty heavy, if i had to guess i would say its at least 80-90lbs.
dims are 48x18.25x19

it looks like the top rim was intentionally designed this way to allow for some flex and not crack. This is just my opinion on why they wouldn't just made one piece.

the tank is pretty heavy, if i had to guess i would say its at least 80-90lbs.
dims are 48x18.25x19

A solid rim can still allow for some give without cracking, it just depends on the construction and material used. Having a snap together rim sacrifices what's left of the much needed support that you need for a 75 gallon without the center brace there...

A solid rim can still allow for some give without cracking, it just depends on the construction and material used. Having a snap together rim sacrifices what's left of the much needed support that you need for a 75 gallon without the center brace there...

again i don't know that it is snap together I am just looking at it and its hard to tell.

You need to add a center brace or junk it.. I would not gamble that tank in my house..

so what should I do? how likely is this tank to blow out?

I haven't seen anyone keep a tank that large for very long without either a factory made or DIY brace added, so I can't say on how likely... I would imagine it would be very likely. It's likely a tank intended for reptiles, which would run a far lower risk of blowing out since you don't have all the water weight on the glass.

Things I've heard of people doing for reinforcing the tank:
1) Remove the top rim and replace it with a factory made rim that includes a center brace - I've heard Glasscages.com mentioned as one place you can have that done but I don't see any obvious place on their site too look for it.
2) DIY reinforcement - This option is not as strong, or as attractive looking, but can be done. Google DIY Euro Brace or DIY Center Brace repair for some different ways to do it.

Yes I wouldnt fill that tank up in my house either. Honestly it looks like the guy false Advertised. The tank is more than likely only meant for reptiles/Amphibians including turtles. You could probably fill it up halfway with out it bowing and use it for a turtle. I had a 75 gallon without a Brace that I filled halfway and used for a turtle since I couldnt fill it up all the way and go with fish. I improvised.

glass thickness is 5mm

does this help with identifying what kind of tank this is?

this is just ******, can't believe I got ripped.

Now i have to try and resell this terrarium...

Well i mean for this tank thats what you could do if u cant sell it

this is just ******, can't believe I got ripped.

Now i have to try and resell this terrarium...

Unless they specifically sold it as an aquarium, my guess is that they used it for reptiles and know nothing about aquariums... They probably assumed it would work as an aquarium too and included that on their post so they'd hit a wider audience to buy it without realizing that the two types of enclosures are not interchangeable... :facepalm:

Either way, not good or fair to you :(

Back
Top Bottom