HELP!: Maybe intestinal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinKY

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Most noticeably a red flame dwarf Gourami but it appears it may be spreading to my Platies as well. The Gourami has a bloated stomach, heavy breathing, and is hiding in the plants near the bottom corner or the tank and is not eating. The Platies only appear to have overly large bellies. They do not have any of the other signs and I do not believe them to be pregnant at this moment. The other DG has no signs of any of these issues.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
?, ?, ?, 81F, 6.9ph

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 Gallon re-homed tank. In new location for about 2 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Marineland C-220 - Only changed the polish pads in this filter when moving it to my place. This filter was setup for over a year with the previous owner.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 Dwarf Gourami (Adults), 5 Platies (3 Adults, 2 Juvies ~1.5")

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
3/18 @ 30% This is usually done weekly every Saturday. Between 20 and 30%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Gourami: ~2 months, Most platies since November. Gourami were drip acclimated.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No, but on the last water change I removed, cleaned, and re-arranged the fake plants.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Aqueon Tropical Flakes, Tetra Tetramin Flakes, NLS Small fish formula. I recently (about a week ago) introduced the NLS into the diet. Usually alternating days. One day flake food, the next NLS.

I found out that one of my children were sneaking in and feeding the fish while I was at work. So I just chalked it up to over feeding at first and hid the fish food and stopped feeding for 2 days. This did not seem to help as the DG is getting progressively worse. He is not eating at all now and the stool colors from the platies have been brown with a little bit of white coloring. Before any of these signs started the fish poo was usually an orange color. I fed them a small amount of flake food today and everyone is eating but the flame DG. At this point I think I may be a little too late to do anything but I am willing to give anything a shot if I can save him.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

You should really know all your water parameters for your fishes safety

I could go pickup a test kit today. I had one before for an aquaponics setup with 60 talapia and a 2x6 growbed. It just seemed like I was always chasing numbers with those kits. Running that setup for over 2 years I found it easier just to keep temps, small water changes, and ph in check and everything else would work out well. Then again, these are display fish and not food.

Is there any electronic devices like my ph meter that check for big 3?

Thanks!

Grabbed some test strips from WalMart while I was out. Did 2 tests, the readings are as follows:

Nitrate: 10 (Scale shows 0 as white but 20 as a much darker pink. Result would be somewhere in the middle)
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 75
Total Alkalinity: 40
PH: 6.8

Here is a video of where he normal sits and does.

First off test strips are very unpredictable. It looks like he's either very fat or has some parasite to me.

No treatments. I didn't want to treat it without knowing what it was I was fighting. He was struggling so I pulled him this morning. It felt like the right thing to do.

Wanting to know what the problem was I opened him up and found 2 pearl size tumors under his belly and another three smaller ones spread out. One in the stomach, one in his digestive tract and one near the ribs.

Using a microscope I was unable to find any signs of parasites.

I believe the change of stool color from the platies was due to not feeding for a couple of days. So at this moment I believe my tank is safe but will continue monitoring them.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

O duh, tumors. I even researched this. I'm such and idiot... Lol

No your not. I appreciate your help in helping me work this out. After all, we are all in this together.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom