help me choose a shrimp for fw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

korith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20g established tank, currently only occupants are 5 shiny gold tetra, 3 silver tipped yellow tetra, and a rummy nose tetra. I plan on adding some live plants as soon as I can find some locally java moss, and maybe some other low light plants.

Was thinking ghost or amano shrimp. Is there one that is more hardier than the other? How many could my tank support, and is there a recommended number they should be at a minimum?

Most likely will have to order shrimp and plants online, have not found any locally.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about amano, but ghost shrimp are pretty hardy. The only problem I have with my ghost shrimps are bigger fish eating them. I think that it's something like 1 shrimp per gallon for ghosts.

Amanos are pretty hardy, and they will not reproduce in a freshwater system. you'll see them carry eggs, but they won't survive.

RCS is another choice, they're very prolific and will breed like crazy.

Ghost shrimp are scavengers while Amano shrimp are algae eaters. If you're looking for shrimp to fill a particular role, that may play into it. If you're in the US you may want to check out your local Walmart as they almost always have ghost shrimp if they carry fish.

Mostly was looking for an algae and cleaner type of shrimp. The tetra are about 6 years old as well, so larger in size. Was considering rcs but thought they may just end up as a quick snack for the tetra. In the process of adding live plants to the tank to provide cover for shrimp. Haven't had any luck at walmart, petsmart, for shrimp. Will probably have to plan a long drive on weekend to get some.

Back
Top Bottom