Help me design my new tank (500L)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thorpef1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys.

Im new on here, my name is Luke and im from Sydney Australia.
I currently have a 30G tall tetra tank and im looking to go one bigger.

I'm looking to start planning my next tank. I know the wife won't let me get it any time soon so hopefully if I start planning I can build it up by Christmas if I am lucky.

I'm hoping to build a 5*2*2 tank (6foot if I am lucky enough) which will start as a freshwater but with the opportunity to convert to salt water later on down the track.

I'm hoping I can get some information from you guys to fill in the gaps.
As suggestions made I'll add them into this top post for easy visibility and comparison.

Tank goal:
• Bright fish
• Lots of activity
• Relatovely low maintenance
• Budget to mid range cost

Stocking:
• I was originally thinking peacock chiclids with a few clown loaches. If I go down this route what numbers could I fit in the above tank?
• What other fish would you recommend that meet the above tank goal?

Filtration:
• Would a sump be beneficial for this tank considering I want to go SW one day, and if so what size sump would you recommend. Also what size pump?
• Or would 1 or 2 sunsun 304B's do the job?

Lighting:
• Open to suggestions here, I don't plan on having any live plants.
• Would prefer a hood light rather than roof suspended light

Decorations/styling:
• I need to do some more research to see if black or white sand would make the fish pop the most.
• Texas holey rock looks pretty good with nice colourful cichlids, any other rock or decorations that are worth considerig?

Heating:
• Would you recommend 250 or 300w?
• Any brands that I should consider?

Anything else that I haven't considered?

Cheers
Luke

you cant go wrong with rainbow fish. alot of variety in colors there and active swimmers. a 6 foot tank would be great for them. sorry no recommendations on anything else since ive never owned a tank that large.

Thanks for that.
I might have a look into rainbow fish next time I'm at the aquarium.

Let's see what other suggestions and info I get

Peacock cichlids in your tank (about a 135g) on a 6 foot tank I would think you could put 12 in there with 4-6 clown loaches. If you wanted to mix it up there's several African cichlids you could put in a tank that big.

Im Not up to speed on sumps.

Any led hood light should work if you aren't planting anything.

Depending on your room temp that the tank will be in I'd say (2) 250w heaters placed on each end of the tank would be minimum. I'd personally go with (2) 300w heaters placed at each end of the tank. There's several brands you can go with. I've used cheaper and more expensive heaters with nearly the same life.

TH is good looking rock. Slate is also used and stacked to make caves. Really is personal preference.

Thanks for that King Fisher.

And would either a Pleco or some snails work in this tank aswell

The pleco is fine and no one should mess with the snails. If they do...oh well. Lol

Haha good to hear.

Ok let's see if I can get some feedback on filtration

I believe the HOB power filter of choice on AA is the Fluval AC 110. The canister filters most mentioned are various Eheim models. Fluval' s FX 4 and FX 6 have also been recommended.
I have a 5', 120 long up and running with two AC 110's. That seems to be plenty of filtration.
Sumps / overflows are probably the best over all type of filtration. I've never used one.

Great input V227.
A quick google on the AC110's show that they do a fantastic job and are relatively cheap compared to the larger canisters.

Ill have to do some measurements as they might be a little too deep pushing the tank too far forward

Back
Top Bottom