Help me identify my fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alpswd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First, can someone tell exactly what kind of fish i have... (sorry for the crappy pic, i can take a better one if needed).
Second, it just had babies (about 20 or so)... I'm clueless, what do I do now? How many will survivie?

pic0010018jr.jpg

Nice fish.

Kinda looks like a Cichlid. Can't really tell from that angle though.

Thanks for the response...Heres another pic, does this help?
mlo9dt.jpg

OK guys, thanks for the answers...Now that we've identify the fish, can someone tell me some info about the babies?

you will have many many babies very very soon. Convict cichlids would breed in a mud puddle given the chance. The parents are also very aggressive when it comes to protecting their offspring.

I don't know anything about them, but the link I provided in my previous post has some info on the fish.

DaPony87 said:
you will have many many babies very very soon. Convict cichlids would breed in a mud puddle given the chance. The parents are also very aggressive when it comes to protecting their offspring.

No doubting that.... In the past two days the two convict cichlids killed the other three fish that I had in the tank.

So.... How quickly will these babies grow? Will all of them survive? Should I be feeding them?

Depends what you want to do with them. The babies will grow fast taking a few weeks to grow large enough to be on their own. Not all of them will survive, there are almost always a casualty or two and if you want to keep as many alive then feed them brine shrimp or crushed flake food. If you want nature to takes its course then just let it be a free for all.

Hey, are these guys called Convicts because their stripes resemble prison stripes from the old uniforms they used to wear in prison?

Back
Top Bottom