Help me with my sump for 40g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i am putting an HOB overflow and sump on my 40g reef tank and am not sure what to do for the sump. I could do 1 of two things. I could use a 20g High and just use it to hide equipment and put my Filter sock on it. Because I am running a HOB skimmer and will just leave it on the tank for now until i upgrade my 75g then the 40g will get a 30g sump and a NWB 150 reefoctopus skimmer but till then ill just stick with the HOB skimmer it works well with a constant water level. I dont know if i really will gain much benefit from having a fuge and I dont really want to make another sump and would really just prefer an open sump. What are your thoughts? Pros and Cons?

I am going to run PH probe, Temp prob, Heater, Carbon & GFO Reactor, ATO, and eventually dose Kalawrasser.

Are you saying its a one piece hob sump and skimmer? Or is it an hob skimmer and a normal sump under?

You could always just put more lr or sand in the sump. I'm not going to do a fuge right now either in my 20l sump. It's just going to run the skimmer and heaters and probes

well Im saying I have a sump but the tank will still have the HOB skimmer on it because it wont work in the sump and I am not buying an in sump skimmer because the tank is out of site and in my "Fish Cave" and most of it will just be temporary so looks arnt a big thing. What I need is function. I was thinking I would run a 20g High because I have one. Im wondering if theres any way for me to grow different macro algeas in the tank without baffles. Any thoughts? I dont want it to clog up my return of course.

My understanding is that the baffles are really for the micro bubbles from the in sump skimmer...if your not running one then I don't see an issue with no baffles. I would run a Sponge on the return pump just to keep any debris from the algae clogging it

If your running multiple types f algae in the sump without baffles you can use eggcrate to separate

My understanding is that the baffles are really for the micro bubbles from the in sump skimmer...if your not running one then I don't see an issue with no baffles. I would run a Sponge on the return pump just to keep any debris from the algae clogging it

good point. I am running a filter sock on it so there shouldnt be any detritus or anything in the sump. I was thinking of making something out of egg crate but im not sure yet.

You can..I know I've seen videos of people who have used Rubbermaid type tubs. I'd clean it first just in case there are any chemicals in it. Would be a pretty cheap alternative to using another tank.

Back
Top Bottom