Help Moving a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy0416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be moving from my current apartment to one on the other side of the complex. How should I go about moving my 75 gallon aquarium? How much of the old water do I keep?

I planned on buying one of those big Rubbermaid tubs to keep the fish in. It's going to be the last thing I move so they shouldn't be out of the tank too terribly long.

Any help appreciated.

Do you have canister filters ? If yes, then you can do a 100%WC !!! Make sure you keep the water in your canister.

1. Make sure your car/truck can hold the tank
2. Fill a bucket with tank water and put fishs/plants in it.
3. Empty the tank
4. Remove any decorations /substrate and put it in a second bucket.
5. Remove any filtration/equipement and keep tank water in the canister (closes valves)
6. Find a friend (the ones on facebook won't help you) that will help you moving the empty tank.

When you're in new house, find the best place to put it, level it with paint woods (The woods used to mix paints) that's what I use for levelling, Carton won't work overtime.

Then do the reverses steps, fill tank with 23C° water (mix hot and cold from tap), put dechlorinator after you filled the tank, then try to acclimate fishs if the chemistry is not the same than in your old tap. Run filters AFTER you dechlorinated, and all should be fine.

I hope this help.

Do you have an ice chest? I've always used an ice chest lined with a big trash bag to move the fish. This keeps their temp pretty stable while you do the teardown/setup. It's particularly helpful if you're moving an hour away but not such a biggie if you can move them from heated room to heated vehicle to heated room quickly. I'd still use a trash bag because the darkness is soothing and closing the top will prevent suicide leaps. A 75 is heavy empty so IDK if I'd dare but I've always left the substrate alone with the water drained to the gravel level... But that was mostly because I had an under gravel filter back then to preserve.

Do you have an ice chest? I've always used an ice chest lined with a big trash bag to move the fish. This keeps their temp pretty stable while you do the teardown/setup. It's particularly helpful if you're moving an hour away but not such a biggie if you can move them from heated room to heated vehicle to heated room quickly. I'd still use a trash bag because the darkness is soothing and closing the top will prevent suicide leaps. A 75 is heavy empty so IDK if I'd dare but I've always left the substrate alone with the water drained to the gravel level... But that was mostly because I had an under gravel filter back then to preserve.

Me too, I moved my 10g with all the substrates and a bit of water, but I won't do this with my 30g tank. Don't want to destroy the bottom glass...

Back
Top Bottom